SIX budgies, a Conure, and a fiddle

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
This will be my new flock thread.

Link to my original flock thread, started only two budgies, Jefferson and Calliope, and my Sun Conure Sunny: Two budgies, a conure, and a fiddle

Link to my thread all about the baby budgies, starting when they were just little eggs being nurtured by Calliope: So I got her a nestbox

I have pictures & updates & etc to post.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My budgies all love lettuce leaves:
55FAA49A-12C4-4FFE-80C7-7C67CE0B0955.jpeg

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
The baby budgies actually love their chop. I place their breakfast, veggies with seeds mixed in, in a glass piepan atop their cage. There are seed dishes inside the cage but the babies prefer their cagetop buffet. Sometimes i also mix pellets into the chop, but not always.

Yesterday I was not feeling well. Was scheduled for a covid test (negative, btw). So i let out the babies but was running late. They all sat on top the cage where their plate should've been, and STARED at me.

Wish I couldve gotten a picture, but, well, if I'd been feeling well, wouldn't have occurred.

Then, for the afternoon, landlord had an appraiser coming thru for pics, requested I have all birds in cages. I expected difficult but it was even moreso. The babies are spoiled. And, they don't even care about millet! Big fat sprigs of millet in the cage, Jefferson and Calliope right there. Babies? Nope. One baby went in willingly, whom I think was Tiny. Able coax a 2nd blue baby onto my finger. But Riker and the last blue baby (Probably Patchouli) would 100% not step up for me, had to actually Catch them. This was after several HOURS of attempted persuasion. Clearly I have not been working with them well enough. I have been happy to let them enjoy flying living in my two rooms. They started off all willing to step up, and I think Jefferson taught all but Tiny to avoid me instead. I have not been persist enough in combating this.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You nailed it with that quip about spoiled babies, Jen. How DARE you not serve up their nums just because you are feeling poorly, you are their indentured servant after all!! Sorry, not good enough by half!!

(VERY good news on your negative COVID test by the way - phew!!)

Looking forward to hearing the further adventures of your fabulous flock! :D

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
who doesnt like to be window decor? lol
whats their names i need to know (sorry if i missed thier names im not the best reader)
Papa is Mr. Bossypants Jefferson Budgie, bright green budgie. Mama is Mrs. Calliope Budgie, albino, pure white budgie except when carrots are available, when she spontaneously mutates to a yellow-faced budgie.

Oldest baby is Number One, Riker, also a true-green budge, but slightly less day-glo than papa.

The other three babies, in order, are Patchouli, Riker, and Tiny. They are all greywing mutation; that is, blue bodies, with wings of grey-and-white lace pattern. At this point, if they all sit together in the same lighting and give me time to examine them, I can distinguish them. Or, if they are all separate, and IF i guess correctly and approach Tiny, Tiny will hop onto my fingers or start chewing them. (However, if I guess wrong, and one flies off, they will all do so.)

I believe I make my birdies lives better by placing their cages at my windows --(always with an ability for them to get away from window if they like!) -- however, i make photography more difficult by this choice. Even when i get phone quickly enough for a shot, I can rarely get the light-balance right before the moment is lost.

However, as I get more good photos, i do plan to post them!

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I have saw that in my phone but could not answer before :) :)

Lovely thread, I love the pictures of the babies in the window and the new mutation "carrot face" Patchouli :D:D

Looking forward for more pics and and update (when possible) to which sexes the babies are.

Beautiful picture of Tiny (I think) flapping her wings .... and Sunny is just gorgeous!! Wonderfully colourful!!

Last edited:
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
I have saw that in my phone but could not answer before :) :)

Lovely thread, I love the pictures of the babies in the window and the new mutation "carrot face" Patchouli :D:D

Looking forward for more pics and and update (when possible) to which sexes the babies are.

Beautiful picture of Tiny (I think) flapping her wings .... and Sunny is just gorgeous!! Wonderfully colourful!!
Thank you so much!

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
This morning took my time waking up. If I wake up during the night and un-cover the corner of Sunny's cage so she can see me sleeping, she will Let me sleep... except... once she thinks it should be time for me to wake up, she will Ring her Bell. Ring-a-ring-a-ring-a! I really have done my best to encourage this. For example, when at all possible, if I'm not in the room and she rings, I will come to her if I can. Etc. Ringing is so much better than screaming, right?

Usually around 7 is when she starts. But if she can see me continuing to sleep, she will just ring every few minutes. UNTIL i start to actually move my legs, as if I'm about to get up. Usually at this point she starts yelling her little head off.

But I've had this cold for a while now, the birds have figured it out.

So this morning, rather than yelling, she just got more determined with her bell. I really didn't feel like moving, was going in slow motion. RINGARINGARINGA!!!, for each attempt.

I've taken off work for the last few days but gonna be working again today. Getting up just felt so difficult. But then I've got this little bell-ringer. Like, Cheering Me ON! Every movement, every progress toward getting myself Up, was cheered on by her happily-ringing bell. Like, for each tiny approach toward getting up, I had Won A Round and was being Announced by a Bell! My little cheerleader, ringing me onward! Ah, what a way to start the day. :)

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
I took a shower today.

Well no, that's not so unusual... :p ....but, if I plan to take a long, soaking, steamy shower, I'll often bring my sweet little Sunny into the shower with me. As I did today.

(She does NOT want any shower-water on her. For Her own showers, she only wants sprayed, in her cage, with the extra-superfine-mist sprayer. If she joins Me for My shower, Her Sunniness must Not get hit with even one actual drop of liquid, non-steamified, water. )

I have an extra tension-rod in middle of my shower. Several hangers with spiral perches attached, and a couple fancy-hangers she likes to climb on, hanging toys etc.

When the bathroom is all steamy, and the showerhead carefully aimed so that Not One actual DROP of water will hit her, only all the lovely steam, she sits there fully fluffly, eyelids mostly-closed. Occasionally she lifts one or other claw into the half-retracted, clawtips visible amidst fluffies, position. So irresistible!

And then I lean in close. And always, her little conurebreath. When in the shower, soaking in the steam, her breath smells like maple syrup. At other times, it's different. But always, always, in the steamy steam shower, she's so sweet, maple syrup.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
So I have not made much time for foruming in a while. All is well. The baby budgies are happy full grown baby budgies- and - I can tell them all apart now!
Hard to get good pics, but here is Sunny enjoying her orange pepper:
06C9C98F-562D-4148-8A2B-6AAB2D8C687F.jpeg

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
4757CE57-0831-41C6-B2FE-7E403C86B42C.jpeg

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Yesterday one of the blue babies decided to play โ€œletโ€™s pretend.โ€ Letโ€™s pretend Iโ€™m a chrysalis! After I hang here as a cocoon long enough, then, maybe I might sprout wings and fly to the ceiling!
5C91AEE4-A9AF-4115-A387-BB345A52B883.jpeg

62537ADB-B2D1-42EC-BF2E-BE621BB70F84.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
97FB0899-2DCD-43DA-B806-BBBAF8B0721A.jpeg

Ceiling budgies
532AC63D-F60C-4929-BF6E-57B9D82CA706.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts