Skye my blue fronted Amazon

Macey

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
Hello wonder if anyone can possibly help me with a query my 14-year old blue fronted Amazon has started to get grey feathers on his underbelly and also underneath both of his wings if anyone could please possibly help me with this query I would be truly grateful

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Howdy! Are you sure these are not just the down feathers peeking through? A picture of these grey feathers, preferably in situ on your parrot, will help get you better answers.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Downy feathers are commonly white, but can appear with a gray tint depending on location and lenght /size of the downy feather. Also, some body feathers will have a base that also includes some amount of what appears to be downy and they can be a light gray in color.

Your Amazon is not going gray, (like humans) its more that you are approaching an early start to Spring molting and/or the body feathers are a bit more out of location for any number of reasons and you are seeing this special body feathers. Or, your Amazon is flashing a bit of lace!! :p

OP
Macey

Macey

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
Downy feathers are commonly white, but can appear with a gray tint depending on location and lenght /size of the downy feather. Also, some body feathers will have a base that also includes some amount of what appears to be downy and they can be a light gray in color.

Your Amazon is not going gray, (like humans) its more that you are approaching an early start to Spring molting and/or the body feathers are a bit more out of location for any number of reasons and you are seeing this special body feathers. Or, your Amazon is flashing a bit of lace!! :p
Thank you so much for your kind reply 😊

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I can usually see a few downy feathers under the wings on both Kirby and Sam at any given time.

The underbelly is a bit weirder, but as others have said it is molting season!

OP
Macey

Macey

Mar 29, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
I can usually see a few downy feathers under the wings on both Kirby and Sam at any given time.

The underbelly is a bit weirder, but as others have said it is molting season!
Thank you so much for your kind response. I shall just keep an eye on him 😊👍

Most Reactions

Latest posts