Sleep houses?

DebbieCarlson

May 22, 2022
Parrots
Sun conure
I just joined but have used the site before! What can I use for a sleep house for my sun conure? I have the fuzzy fleece one, but yup, we are making eggs. Help! What can I use in its place so she does not have to stand 24/7?
Thank you!
Debbie

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I just joined but have used the site before! What can I use for a sleep house for my sun conure? I have the fuzzy fleece one, but yup, we are making eggs. Help! What can I use in its place so she does not have to stand 24/7?
Thank you!
Debbie
Yeah those fuzzy fleece things can be a bit of a menace for maternally minded hens sometimes! I've used a seagrass version with great effect with my chronic egg-laying lorikeet, just like this one ...

seagrasshut.jpg

Like everything, individual results will vary, but this very open ended, open weave design triggered absolutely zero egg-laying or nesting response with my madly hormonal egg laying little lorikeet. Hope for the same result for you! 🙏

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow Martina, that is a great suggestion for anyone who is using or is contemplating using a "hut". SO very much better than any cloth or fuzzy one! Winna winna chicken dinna!!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Wow Martina, that is a great suggestion for anyone who is using or is contemplating using a "hut". SO very much better than any cloth or fuzzy one! Winna winna chicken dinna!!

Oh why thank you Master Wrench, you are most kind!

I tried my Lilly with a platform-type perch to sleep on initially, but she hated it. The seagrass hut on the other hand, she absolutely loved, and would happily nap in it during the day and slept in it, or on top of it, every night, with zero issues with hormones or egg-laying, and I never worried about her if she chewed on it either. I don't think any birdie accessory can be said to be 100% safe, but in my opinion the seagrass versions are a much better alternative :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts