Sleeping on bottom

Elvis Presley

Jan 14, 2023
Parrots
A Green Cheek Conure
Iā€™ve only had my bird for not that long and tonight he decided to sleep on the bottom, i have a little mat that I have at the bottom. And during the day he seems to be quite sleepy but still energetic. I donā€™t have much natural perches but I plan on buying some. I may just take him to an avian vet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots sleeping on the bottom of a cage is commonly not a positive sign and a visit to an Avian Vet is a Great Idea even if it turns out to be just a good New Bird Vet Visit!
Depending on where in this huge World you live. You could have free perches at or near your home as the vast majority of Hard Wood Trees provide excellent branches in various sizes. A fresh cut branch, with its bark removed and washed in hot water with something like Dawn Original Dishwashing Soap, well rise with clean water and dried in the Sunlight work well.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think sometimes very young birds-babies-sleep in the bottom, but normally adults do not. Most birds roost above ground at night and probably donā€™t feel ā€œsafeā€ on the cage bottom.

Hereā€™s an exception: when my bird fractured her leg, she slept on the cage bottom. After that, she slept on the bottom or laying on a horizontal ladder. But thatā€™s because, with her bad leg, she could not perch right.

Most Reactions

Latest posts