Sleeping perch

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Hi everyone, what size of perch is best for my macaw to sleep on? At the moment she has been going to her jumbo sanded perch at night. I wrapped it with vet wrap to protect her feet. She has numerous sizes of perches in her cage but was wondering if there's a specific size she should be sleeping on.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It doesn't matter what diameter they sleep on, just change the perches around a few times a month for variety.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
@Kirstyr I suggest you page thru the "I Love Amazons" thread in the Amazon forum, there is LOADS of info that applied to all parrots not just 'zons ( thank you again and again 'Boats). In it, there are recommendation for perch size for various parrots. Macaws, being the largest, should have big big perches. Especially for the sleeping one, since they will spend the majority of their time on that. Something 3-4" in diameter would not be out of order.

zERa's suggestion on changing them around every once in awhile is also good advice. Me I like natural ones, that have varying diameters and shapes to them.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Will check that thread out thank you

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks Al!!

The size of perches for Mac's range larger than one would normally consider. Please see the Thread mentioned above. Look for the segment something like: Getting to the Foot of the Problem. Mac's like their sleeping perches thick 4 - 6" in diameter and larger and high in their sleeping cage. I commonly set my Amazon's sleeping perches just a bit lower from the top of the cage then their overall height!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts