Sleepy/Cuddly Lovebird Question

Merca126

Feb 3, 2019
Hi!

I guess i want to just make sure all is ok by bouncing it off some other lovebird people...I know every bird is different. I adopted my sweet 4 year old boy about 5 weeks ago. I was asked by someone to take him out of a really bad situation (he was in a dirty cage in a hotel room) He was a high strung, screechy boy with no interest in toys or playing but immediately very cuddly and very friendly.

We are now 5 weeks into our journey and he no longer screams or yells (only when scared by something) and now plays with some toys with encouragement. He has a nice big cage, and a sleep cage at night. He has zero interest in chewing, shredding or destroying anything. He eats and drinks normally. although we have started the transition to pellets and he hasn't eaten any fruits or veggies yet...

I took him to the vet 2 days ago for a general checkup. All was good! the vet was very impressed by ho healthy he seemed, he was a perfect weight, and how friendly he was (he flew to his shoulder and attempted to snuggle with him and give him kisses) he really loves anyone who visits and will snuggle with anyone who will accommodate him.

Now here is my concern... he naps ALOT. Its more of a cuddling/napping situation either on my shoulder or chest but in his cage as well. Even when i get him in the morning, he snacks, stretches and wants to cuddle and nap for a little while. He tucks his little head and naps. He is in his on room at night, covered and in darkness for 12 hours so i assume he is getting proper rest.

Are some lovebirds just more calm and cuddly then other ones? I just haven't met or heard of a bird like this so if its normal then great! But i can't tell when i should be alarmed! I have also never met such a sociable and friendly bird so i am also wondering if he is just weird!

I work from home so he has pretty constant companionship...

Thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Cuddles are not healthy for any bird, unless you are a fellow bird looking for....you know...mating activities.

Cuddles and petting anywhere than the head/neck=sex and foreplay in a bird's mind (no matter how innocent it seems).

Have you had blood-work done?

OP
M

Merca126

Feb 3, 2019
I never do anything other then scratch his neck and head. i don't touch his back at all. No blood work yet.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I would get some blood-work done if at all possible...I know that can stress a bird out, but blood work, gram-stains, x-rays and swabs are the only way you will know. Birds hide disease until it is almost too late....My vet said mine looked/fine but I insisted on blood work and she had a serious liver problem which has been corrected...She came to me with the problem, but the point is, symptoms were SUPER subtle.

Birds move in slow-motion, so your bird could be stressed out (which can look sleepy), so don't rush bonding etc..and get him/her to a vet when you can.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts