Small Bird FF in PH

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Not in English. Leader of the flock is IRN, followed by the Hahn's...

Attachments

• 313216749_5734276143261868_4107244924649191884_n.mp4
    7.3 MB

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nice! That is exactly the type of area one needs for free flight of parrots.
W-I-D-E open space. In fact it could be bigger, but that is hard to find in most countries. Is this China?

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
It's my mentor in the PH; I can't afford mentorship here (one on one consultation) but I can afford it there. However, I am still taking a course (on-line) from Parrot Volancy soon to know more about FF, Avian Nutrition, Behavior, etc. to increase my base knowledge.

FF is massive in the PH, but because most people can't afford expensive Macaws, Cockatoos, Golden Conures, (bigger parrots), most fly Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies and Conures (GC and Sun). However, buying a Macaw in PH will be about at least $500-$1,000 less than buying it in North America. For example, a Hahn's will cost you about 35,000 pesos there, under $1,000 Cdn., wherein a Hahn's here will probably be $1,500-$3,000.

There are about 16 Birds of Prey species in PH, half are endemic, the rest wintering (no Falcon to my knowledge) but if you are in the south provinces near the province, I would not be flying my Macaw from there due to this Eagle that moves like a Goshhawk:
1669132939948.png

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Oh, the IRN was inside the carrier because he bit the handler and may have entered a stage of hormones, so the handler decided not to fly him/her

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ever greater areas of North America and Western Europe are becoming heavily populated by Birds of Prey and Free Flying has become dangerous for those with Parrots outside, let along free flying one's Parrots outside.
It takes extensive work to bring Parrots to a point that such activities -- with 'recall' training being the most important.
Parrot Forum has seen members ever those very well trained Parrots fly away and not return! The pain of loosing a Parrot is heart breaking and it is more heart breaking to watch as one's Parrots flies away.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So right 'Boats. For those considering Free Flight, take warning. Even the best trained parrot can become so scared by something (like being chased by a raptor, unexpected occurrences or other stuff ) that all training goes out the window and natural survival behavior takes over. THat behavior says "Fly away as fast as possible" and training be damned.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Yes, predators are a problem. My mentor's multi-flock birds gets chased by crows and gulls often. His birds are faster, fortunately, and still comes back to him. I don't know how he does it.

Most Reactions