Small Conures - Does the colour of the tail feathers mean anything?

Vivek_Paul

Jan 26, 2021
I have four beautiful small conure babies. They are about 24 days old. Their parents are Yellow sided Male and green cheek marron tail female. All the chiks have started to grow their tail feathers. Their tail feathers colour are different One has an yellow tail and other one has black. Does it mean anything?

Thank you so much in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Color is commonly tied to DNA information from the prior generations of the Parents and what was common in those families. Variation can occurred based on Diet and Stress, but they are commonly the cause of muting, dulling or in the other direction a healthy brilliance. Actual color change can and does occur, from time to time, with a directional shift from a prior color in that location, i.e. Green prior feather to a Yellow or Red new feather.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
No, but you breed two different species - yellow sided is a sex linked mutation of GCC (and maroon tailed is not a GCC) so you will be able to recognise their sex but there's one small problem - they all will be a hybrid which I don't how looks like so I can't really explain the difference. Males will be a "normal" hybrid and females will be a yellow sided hybrid

Most Reactions