Smart Little monster

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all.
Solo is a year old now. And has become a right little monster sometimes. We’ve managed to get past the shoulder blade clinging, and nearly the ear biting. Previously Hes attacked my friend twice, but we have also worked through that & last week was able to spend some flight time with us both, & he seldom bites hubby now, but I’m a bit stuck with him on me!
so coming up to dinner. Sometimes , maybe once a week..he will land on my chest, immediately hooking his foot into my clothes, then collapses his leg so he is fully latched but floppy. I ask him to step off.. he starts to and grabs one finger or thumb with one foot.. he grips it hard.. but then doesn’t go any further.. he stays Like that With a foot in my clothes and the other gripping my finger.. sometimes he even rolls over just so as not to step off, so if I pull he gets stretched. Anyway, he then bites my fingers whilst he is gripping hard and I can’t pull it away out of his iron claw grip. His bites are quite deep hard ouch.
I know that he has come over to say “hey it’s fresh dinner time now” & is thinking of harrassing me from the way he lands and grips my clothes.. (which is why I ask him to step off). but we’ve kind of got stuck into this latching, grasping & bite scenario. I was thinking of keeping a short stick by my chair to ask him to step on rather than my hand. What do you all think?
▶️ Also what time do you all give them their last dinner ?
It dark here at about 5:30/6. So hes having his fresh food dinner at about 4:30/5 Right now. Then a few pellets put in later for the night/early morning.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I give dinner depending on when it gets dark and when I’m cooking. So I make sure everyone has plenty of time to enjoy their dinner and pick at it before bedtime. I take fresh food away at bedtime.

I think it would be good to communicate to Han Soli when he’s biting and it hurts versus when he’s nibbling or grooming and it doesn’t hurt. My birds know it’s ok to touch me with the beak lightly, or to groom or nibble at, but I tell them when they hurt me.

Sometimes it’s an accident or someone was playing and got too excited. “Ouch! No biting!” Is a good response. But if my bird walks over to me and bites me HARD I will tell him “No Biting” and turn my back to him.

Now, if you forgot to return the food dish for hours after cleaning it, maybe a punishment bite is more understandable. Apologize and realize everyone was not being their best person. But no one gets to hurt others just to enjoy biting. If bird gives you a good pinch and looks at you to see if you’ll take it, say “no” and turn your back to him.

My Meyers may bite if he doesn’t want to go back in his cage and I do want him to return. It’s best to avoid bites so a TREAT in the food cup and saying, “look at the yummy treat! Go get it. Step up!” Onto the cage perch is a better way to avoid grumpy bites.

Last edited:
OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I give dinner depending on when it gets dark and when I’m cooking. So I make sure everyone has plenty of time to enjoy their dinner and pick at it before bedtime. I take fresh food away at bedtime.

I think it would be good to communicate to Han Soli when he’s biting and it hurts versus when he’s nibbling or grooming and it doesn’t hurt. My birds know it’s ok to touch me with the beak lightly, or to groom or nibble at, but I tell them when they hurt me.

Sometimes it’s an accident or someone was playing and got too excited. “Ouch! No biting!” Is a good response. But if my bird walks over to me and bites me HARD I will tell him “No Biting” and turn my back to him.

Now, if you forgot to return the food dish for hours after cleaning it, maybe a punishment bite is more understandable. Apologize and realize everyone was not being their best person. But no one gets to hurt others just to enjoy biting. If bird gives you a good pinch and looks at you to see if you’ll take it, say “no” and turn your back to him.

My Meyers may bite if he doesn’t want to go back in his cage and I do want him to return. It’s best to avoid bites so a TREAT in the food cup and saying, “look at the yummy treat! Go get it. Step up!” Onto the cage perch is a better way to avoid grumpy bites.
Thanks Heather, there’s always food in his cage, in the day even if it’s just a pumpkin or a carrot. I’ve tried the bite pressure & say ow no biting, but now he thinks ow is a word and sits there in the evening sometimes practicing how he can say it. Cheeky monkey. He knows exactly the context of it, as he’s said it to himself when grooming too hard. He rarely draws blood, just leaves deep impressions and somehow manages to get his beak in my knuckle joint. This week he’s been really a good boy and loving in his own way, & hasn’t done the above at all. thank you very much for your reply. I’ll continue to feed him about the same time as us.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks Heather, there’s always food in his cage, in the day even if it’s just a pumpkin or a carrot. I’ve tried the bite pressure & say ow no biting, but now he thinks ow is a word and sits there in the evening sometimes practicing how he can say it. Cheeky monkey. He knows exactly the context of it, as he’s said it to himself when grooming too hard. He rarely draws blood, just leaves deep impressions and somehow manages to get his beak in my knuckle joint. This week he’s been really a good boy and loving in his own way, & hasn’t done the above at all. thank you very much for your reply. I’ll continue to feed him about the same time as us.
Clarifying that I didn’t mean YOU did that; I have gotten punishment bites when my Quaker was hungry after I messed up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts