Smells?

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
So I know that aerosol sprays and air fresheners are bad for birds but what ab stuff like deodorant and lotion should I worry ab that too? I'm probably just overthinking this but oh well lol

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Almost any commercial product with fragrance (smells) is not good for your parrot. Likely not good for you either, but their resperatory system is extremely sensitive.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Don’t forget fabric softeners! Wife thinks they make the clothes smell like the great outdoors! They choke me up and give me a sore throat!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
hand lotion as long as properly rinsed should be okay, deodorant I would prefer not to need but going out with BO isn't exactly nice, when not going out I wouldn't bother with it, but when going out I'm inclined to spray in a well aired room away from the birds just to make sure there's nothing wrong going into the immediate area.

As Fiboy mentioned with fabric softener I'm a little bad. I have hyper-sensitivity in relation to some issues I have so smells really get up my nose (can't even go near a perfume section of a shop without being in physical pain from the smell) so I only use a small amount of fabric softener, just enough to get a tiny hint of smell

Most Reactions