Smoke smell

Alehner529

Dec 6, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hey all. So my husband has 3 friends up for the weekend, and they are smokers. They do not smoke in the house, but when they come back in the smoke is on their clothes and I can smell it in certain rooms. This has never been an issue before because only one of them has been uo at a time so I haven't noticed the smoke smell. So I could isolate my sun conure into the room she sleeps in, but she would be in there alone most of the weekend, except when I could get her outside. She hasn't reacted at all to the smell, but should I be worried about this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think that is the biggest reason I quit smoking.
The general consensus is, if you can smell it then it’s a problem for your birds.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Agreed w/above: I mean, if it is 1 time for just a few minutes, that isn't a big deal, but when you smell something, it is because the airborne particles are binding with your scent receptors like puzzle pieces...so you smell it because the particles are in the air. The same thing is true of perfumes, air fresheners, cleaners (non avian approved), essential oils, candles, wax melters, glues/paints with fumes etc, which is why they should be avoided. If they were to wear a hoodie or something over their clothes (think "smokers robes" from the olden days) and remove that when done, it can reduce the smell on their clothes...So can airing out before coming back in, and thoroughly washing hands. Nicotine residue from hands gets all over things.

keep in mind that some scentless things (like teflon/ptfe/pfoa/pfc's and also VOCs) are extremely deadly and so, while scented things are an obvious risk, don't assume your nose will pick up every threat.

If you don't already (even if this were not an issue) I'd invest in a very solid (expensive) true hepa filter (do not use ionize, or sanitize settings, as they produce ozone and can harm your bird). A really good filter won't save your bird from fumes, but it can be a nice help with things like VOCs and minor irritants as long as it is a really good one. I use the Alen Air Breathesmart classic w/ true hepa "fresh plus" filter. They have a payment plan option for something like 40 bucks a month. It is the best purifier I have owned and customer service is really good. Keep in mind, the square footage is always less than estimated, unless the room is always totally sealed and doors are never opened it. I swear I don't work for them-- I just like their product. PS: do not skimp on the filter-- you want one that traps vocs, smoke etc--- AGAIN, this does not mean you should bring smoke or VOCs into your home.

Last edited:
OP
Alehner529

Alehner529

Dec 6, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
Parrots
Sun Conure
Alright, thanks everyone. She and I are spending lots of time upstairs this weekend apart from the rest of the house.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts