Sneeze-like noises

Pamelafh

Sep 19, 2021
Parrots
1 Sun Conure 20 yrs old named Liko (leeko)
This is Sunday and my bird started having what sounds like respiratory issues. Can I give her some manuka honey and if so how much? Or is there something else until I get to the vet? Thank you!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'd be very leery of honey as it may contain harmful bacteria, especially if respiratory issue exists. That said, there are innumerable homeopathic remedies available - some good, others terrible. I'll leave it for other members to best discuss from a more knowledgeable pov.

OP
P

Pamelafh

Sep 19, 2021
Parrots
I'd be very leery of honey as it may contain harmful, especially if respiratory issue exists. That said, there are innumerable homeopathic remedies available - some good, others terrible. I'll leave it for other members to best discuss from a more knowledgeable pov.
Liko is staying overnight at the vet for a couple of days on oxygen and getting antibiotics. Thank you for caring. I had read raw organic honey was not good, but came across several articles on manuka honey being ok. All that aside, the will send a culture in to determine exactly what is going on but had to start a broad spectrum antibiotic immediately. She's never been sick in 20 years, so it is very worrisome.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad you were able to score prompt vet appointment for Liko! Initiating broad spectrum antibiotics followed by targeted med is properly assertive methodology. Hope she responds quickly and completely recovers. Please keep us updated!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Liko is staying overnight at the vet for a couple of days on oxygen and getting antibiotics. Thank you for caring. I had read raw organic honey was not good, but came across several articles on manuka honey being ok. All that aside, the will send a culture in to determine exactly what is going on but had to start a broad spectrum antibiotic immediately. She's never been sick in 20 years, so it is very worrisome.
Oh my, I'm so sorry Liko is so ill. Very few worse feelings in the world in my opinion than when your baby is sick and my heart goes out to you. Sending every good wish for her recovery and that she is safely back home with you very soon. 🙏

OP
P

Pamelafh

Sep 19, 2021
Parrots
I brought Liko home today. She will receive nebulizing treatments and antibiotics for another week. I have a follow up Dr. appt. The culture is not back yet and I am very curious as she's never been sick a day in her life. The dr. suspect pneumonia. Thank you, all.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh poor Liko, but I'm glad she is home with you where she is happiest. I hope the treatments will help restore her to good health very soon. Wishing you all the very best for the coming week and her follow up appointment, and sending continued prayers and healing vibes for your Liko!

Most Reactions

Latest posts