Sneezing in birds (cockatiels)

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 3-5 month old cockatiel named Kiko :)

I was wondering if someone can educate me on the topic of discharges and sneezing in birds.

Kikoā€™s sneezing:
Kiko mainly ā€œdry sneezes.ā€ When heā€™s preening a lot or releases a lot of dust, he sneezes. But, I donā€™t really ever notice or see discharge as he sneezes. Today, he was preening then he sneezed like 4 or 5 times in a row, usually itā€™s just like 2-3 times. When he sneezed, I believe he sneezed a little bit of discharge or boogers (I donā€™t know exactly what itā€™s called.) It wasnā€™t ALOT of discharge at all it was just a light spray, but there were 2 tiny drops of It near his nostril when he was done. Below is a pic of it (sorry itā€™s not very clear to see and itā€™s a very very tiny amount.)

Can someone just give me basic, general information on sneezing and discharge, like what exactly does discharge look like, when is it serious enough to go the vet, is sneezing even common, is it a big symptom of a serious sickness, etc.

Thank you to anyone who replies! I always appreciate the sweet and kind people on this form who reply to my posts :) I really love my little baby and always get concerned over the smallest things šŸ˜…

Thank you! šŸ•Š

Attachments

• 751BF7D7-F9ED-45E9-8B9D-CFFCD0044FED.jpeg
    751BF7D7-F9ED-45E9-8B9D-CFFCD0044FED.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 113
  • B1879219-E3B0-4822-BF8E-A7E8DCAB1D49.jpeg
    B1879219-E3B0-4822-BF8E-A7E8DCAB1D49.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 113

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hello!
Don't worry were always here to help and there's no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to birds!
I think it's best to get a checkup done at the CAV to see if it could be an upper respiratory infection.
Because going from a dry sneeze to a wet one is pretty serious :( and I would take care of it asap.
They will probably prescribe some antibiotics of some sort and your bird will feel better from it if effective and treats the infection efficiently.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello!
Don't worry were always here to help and there's no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to birds!
I think it's best to get a checkup done at the CAV to see if it could be an upper respiratory infection.
Because going from a dry sneeze to a wet one is pretty serious :( and I would take care of it asap.
They will probably prescribe some antibiotics of some sort and your bird will feel better from it if effective and treats the infection efficiently.
Itā€™s been a couple of hours since he sneezed and he looks a lot better and hasnā€™t sneezed since. Should I wait for a little bit longer? (I would take him right now but the problem is that the vet is really far and I canā€™t manage to go atm.)

Also, how do YOU know when itā€™s serious? I heard that birds try to hide their illnesses but if a bird is sick I think you can tell by the behaviour and looks right? (Ex. Puffed up, quite, wonā€™t eat and come out the cage.)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Itā€™s been a couple of hours since he sneezed and he looks a lot better and hasnā€™t sneezed since. Should I wait for a little bit longer? (I would take him right now but the problem is that the vet is really far and I canā€™t manage to go atm.)

Also, how do YOU know when itā€™s serious? I heard that birds try to hide their illnesses but if a bird is sick I think you can tell by the behaviour and looks right? (Ex. Puffed up, quite, wonā€™t eat and come out the cage.)
I just like to confirm with some other people and people on this form before booking appointments because it costs around 206 dollars for a check up for cockatiels near me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I can confirm, you need a vet.
I believe likely chlamydiaosis, I see red tint to eye, click this link, I hsve examples and article link in red eyes. Indicate systemic infection like chlamydiaosis, or sinus inflammation. Doxycline for 45 days if chlamydiaosis suspected

You should not have so much sneezing, with or without discharge this us too much sneezing.

Plus I replied before about beak groove and discoloration.

So vet, warmth, track weight, encouragement to eat as sick burds need Xtra calories. A millet spray, crumbles of nutri berries.

Best wishes for speedy recovery

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I can confirm, you need a vet.
I believe likely chlamydiaosis, I see red tint to eye, click this link, I hsve examples and article link in red eyes. Indicate systemic infection like chlamydiaosis, or sinus inflammation. Doxycline for 45 days if chlamydiaosis suspected

You should not have so much sneezing, with or without discharge this us too much sneezing.

Plus I replied before about beak groove and discoloration.

So vet, warmth, track weight, encouragement to eat as sick burds need Xtra calories. A millet spray, crumbles of nutri berries.

Best wishes for speedy recovery
Can I show you some better quality pictures because his eyes donā€™t actually look red to me in real life, and when it comes to sneezing he only really sneezes when itā€™s dusty because heā€™s preening which I heart is normal, BUT today I saw a little bit of that boogers stuff on his nostril so I got worried

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sure share more pictures. Is the groove and dark mark only on the side under the nostril you had discharge ?

I've had a lot of experience taking care of sick birds, and not just my own. I feel in the very least he has a sinus issue going on. IF it was me I wouldn't risk it, I'd spend the money and be happy if it was nothing..

Burd evolution has made them hard wired to hide being sick. So as nit to be targeted by predators or kicked out if the flock to avoid flock wide illnesses.

What you think of as classic " sick burd " symptoms only happen when diseases are very advanced, they can no longer compensate and have run out of resources. So when you see fluffed lethargic not eating they are usually 48 hours from death and it's much harder to save them.

Young burds like him , immunity isn't fully developed, and they are more vulnerable to infections. Chlamydiosis ( if ) he had this is much more serious in this age bird.

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Can I show you some better quality pictures because his eyes donā€™t actually look red to me in real life, and when it comes to sneezing he only really sneezes when itā€™s dusty because heā€™s preening which I heart is normal, BUT today I saw a little bit of that boogers stuff on his nostril so I got worried
Here are some pics with flash and without (before he was near the sun and I strongly believe that redness in the eyes is lighting. I examined his eye up close with and without a flash and I donā€™t seem to see any redness.

The only thing has is scaring me is his beak because he has had that for over a month. As for his nostrils, they were like that when we got him 3-4 months ago and if he was sick Wouldnt he show signs within those months?

Sorry I am not trying to disagree with anyone, Iā€™m just very confused at the moment and scared. I thought heā€™s fine because he looked fine to me and he eats and drinks a lot, and he is incredibly vocal, playful and active.

My motherā€™s friend has been raising (from the egg) and taking care of birds for a lot of years and she told us around 1 week ago when she came that he is very healthy and has strong bones so I took her word for it.

Attachments

• A2A8D61D-4002-4595-80BB-98625A0525AD.jpeg
    A2A8D61D-4002-4595-80BB-98625A0525AD.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 92E7B02D-0E98-42A3-9ECF-7BAA00783EEE.jpeg
    92E7B02D-0E98-42A3-9ECF-7BAA00783EEE.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 86
  • 3150E129-E2F7-4723-9939-72F07AE17F66.jpeg
    3150E129-E2F7-4723-9939-72F07AE17F66.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 64F0E76B-C68A-4CCA-8437-840CF2011548.jpeg
    64F0E76B-C68A-4CCA-8437-840CF2011548.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 143
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Sure share more pictures. Is the groove and dark mark only on the side under the nostril you had discharge ?

I've had a lot of experience taking care of sick birds, and not just my own. I feel in the very least he has a sinus issue going on. IF it was me I wouldn't risk it, I'd spend the money and be happy if it was nothing.

Can grooving be felt on the beak? It looks like a dark line stain thing to me

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Here are some pics with flash and without (before he was near the sun and I strongly believe that redness in the eyes is lighting. I examined his eye up close with and without a flash and I donā€™t seem to see any redness.

The only thing has is scaring me is his beak because he has had that for over a month. As for his nostrils, they were like that when we got him 3-4 months ago and if he was sick Wouldnt he show signs within those months?

Sorry I am not trying to disagree with anyone, Iā€™m just very confused at the moment and scared. I thought heā€™s fine because he looked fine to me and he eats and drinks a lot, and he is incredibly vocal, playful and active.

My motherā€™s friend has been raising (from the egg) and taking care of birds for a lot of years and she told us around 1 week ago when she came that he is very healthy and has strong bones so I took her word for it.
Do you still suggest a vet? Oh and also off topic but: I am planning on taking him check ups but I donā€™t know if youā€™re supposed to go monthly or annually.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
so yes this can be a chronic thing. Likely has had it going on a while. You get that Groove in the beak with chronic sinus infection. And its one sided, or worse on the side with Groove, and sneezed boogers out of.

Several sneezes heard, abnormal, groove abnormal ( imo)

Eyes... its hard to tell its subtle in dark eyed birds. But I still don't see his pupils..and this would indicate inflammation, you get inflammation with infection. You looked at my pictures?
Do you hsve pictures if hid eyes when you first brought him home( might be swelling inflammation was less at that time) .

You aren't going to see non stop sneezing, or constant discharge, some infection there us never a discharge.

I understand that you aren't arguing, just seeking clarification. I'm not arguing back either. You asked for opinions , I stand by mine thst needs to evaluated by veterinarian. I wouldn't risk it, if he was mine

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can grooving be felt on the beak? It looks like a dark line stain thing to me
It's always hard to tell stuff from pictures, perhaps the darkness makes it look like a slight groove.
I'm unfamiliar with cockatiel beak color variations.

Just trying to help best I can.
I'm not there, and I can be wrong

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
so yes this can be a chronic thing. Likely has had it going on a while. You get that Groove in the beak with chronic sinus infection. And its one sided, or worse on the side with Groove, and sneezed boogers out of.

Eyes... its hard to tell its subtle in dark eyed birds. But I still don't see his pupils..and this would indicate inflammation, you get inflammation with infection. You looked at my pictures?
Do you hsve pictures if hid eyes when you first brought him home( might be swelling inflammation was less at that time) .

You aren't going to see non stop sneezing, or constant discharge, some infection there us never a discharge.

I understand that you aren't arguing, just seeking clarification. I'm not arguing back either. You asked for opinions , I stand by mine thst needs to evaluated by veterinarian. I wouldn't risk it, if he was mine
So you are saying that diseases like these can take a long time (months) to get worse? (What Iā€™m trying to say is that itā€™s possible that he came sick, but it wasnā€™t that much before and it can get worse?)

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciated it. I will see what I can do to arrange a vet and monitor him very closely :) I really didnā€™t know that the red nostrils and other stuff is an indication of sickness because he came like this and I had someone closely inspect him and was told that he is completely fine.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's always hard to tell stuff from pictures, perhaps the darkness makes it look like a slight groove.

Annual..
Yes I think taking him in is best, safest thing to do. It's good to take them in when yiu first get them anyway and get established. Then if anything comes later if ever an emergency they will work with you as an established client.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Oh and one more thing Iā€™d like to say again, when I said he sneezed 4-5 times, I meant he sneezed that much all together one after the other, and he did it this morning and hasnā€™t sneezed since

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Oh well if grooves have like a dent or bump then I donā€™t know if itā€™s an actual groove bc Iā€™ve felt it and itā€™s completely smooth thereā€™s just a line there

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So you are saying that diseases like these can take a long time (months) to get worse? (What Iā€™m trying to say is that itā€™s possible that he came sick, but it wasnā€™t that much before and it can get worse?)

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciated it. I will see what I can do to arrange a vet and monitor him very closely :) I really didnā€™t know that the red nostrils and other stuff is an indication of sickness because he came like this and I had someone closely inspect him and was told that he is completely fine.
Yes I'm saying he could have come with it, yes it can get worse.....like all the way to death worse.

Chlamydiaosis can be a chronic thing, when you have symptoms you have to treat or......bad things happen.

Or if this is a different type of sinus infection, it can swell inside, and sometimes stuff comes out. Burds can have wet type infection, and dry type infections.

Obviously I can't diagnose your burd on the internet even with a few pictures.

Everything can be completely fine . Or not. When ever there us any doubt I err on not. Because burds are so sensitive and hide illness.

Some birds death is the only symptom. They don't have to go through all stages of illness.

So when in doubt check it out..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
" Itā€™s common for cockatiels to develop nostril issues. While rarely life-threatening, they can be uncomfortable. Cockatiels are more prone to sneezing than other birds, indicating an infection, inflammation, or foreign object.

Nose Discharge​

Cockatiel nose discharge is the sign of a bacterial or sinus infection, such as Psittacosis. According to Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, this condition is more commonly known as parrot fever.( also now called chlamydiaosis)

Boogers​

Healthy cockatiel nasal discharge is thin and transparent, so when you see boogers in the nose, thereā€™s likely something else going on. Thick or discolored nasal discharge indicates a health concern ā€“ most likely an infection.

This article has several things I don't agree with. Do not treat for mites unless this has been diagnosed by vet! This allergy part....uh no...sign of infection...
But is does have enough good info thst I shared it

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My Tiels sneeze most every day but it's not often, 2/3 times per day.
Each sneeze event can be more 2 or more in succession.
The most common time is in the morning just waking up and grooming as you mentioned.
Once Baby sneezed right in my face and splattered me in the face.

Birds can't blow their nose and humans can't sneeze on demand.
Birds can make themselves sneeze to clear things out, it's not a involuntary response (not all the time anyway).

From everything you have said I think it's worth it to have him checked out by a avian vet.

Most Reactions