Snowy is very ill but probably going to lay an egg as well!๐Ÿ˜ฌ

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I canโ€™t imagine a way the brown color of the cere could stain the surrounding feathers. Thatโ€™s just not possible. The tissue color has changed, itโ€™s not going to leak or rub off. Honestly you may never see discharge from nares outright, but have to look for evidence of past discharge like flakes of crud in surrounding feathers, staining, feather loss due to rubbing the nose.

Thank you Laurasea for clarifying so much.

I am feeling if I could only see the bird then I might have a much better idea whatโ€™s going on with her. But that is impossible.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, possibly..

Thanks for the link, I'll read it now.

Yes that's how her regurgitating is. The second one.
Vet says she appears to be fine. He said tail bobbing can sometimes be courting behaviour, and her vomiting appears to be her trying regurgitating. He says that if she was ill, she would've lost a lot of weight, and she would've became thinner, which she didn't. He says her vent isn't really swollen, it's just a bit puffy in the area. He says there is no eggs. Vet says her diet is good.

Thanks everyone for the help :)
I am wonderingโ€ฆbirds lose weight when sick. Hen birds gain weight when โ€œwith eggโ€. Maybe there is some confusion because of this?

When I have seen hen birds poochy or puffy around the vent, vent appears bigger, and hen birds are holding their poops and leaving huge stinky poops, that was because they were getting ready to lay an egg.

If your hen bird has those characteristics after getting broody in a foraging sack, I would think she was getting ready to lay. When I saw the deep brown cere I thought โ€œyup, sheโ€™s readyโ€.

I am still worried about your girl and hope she is really ok.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi pip, I looked at a lot of photos of budgies with white or light heads and brown ceres online and I did not find that the brown stained the feathers around the cere. But maybe I am wrong.

If my budgie had brown in the feathers around her nostrils I would wonder if she had a runny nose.

I am also wondering about Snowyโ€™s big poops. Did she only have one big poop or many big poops? And is she sitting in an area quietly (not the foraging bag since you took it away) or is she active?

Anyhow I hope she is well. You can give her good supportive care and do the best you can with her.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi pip, I looked at a lot of photos of budgies with white or light heads and brown ceres online and I did not find that the brown stained the feathers around the cere. But maybe I am wrong.

If my budgie had brown in the feathers around her nostrils I would wonder if she had a runny nose.

I am also wondering about Snowyโ€™s big poops. Did she only have one big poop or many big poops? And is she sitting in an area quietly (not the foraging bag since you took it away) or is she active?

Anyhow I hope she is well. You can give her good supportive care and do the best you can with her.
Agree I also spent time looking at female budgies in breeding brown without seeing stains above nares.

Also poop.....unless an egg is laid in the next day or so...I find it very abnormal.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yeah.. maybe I should contact the vet and tell him the poops are VERY big, like 10 times the normal size.

I find it quite odd, she has one or two big poops in the morning, and after that, it goes back to normal. I have no idea why.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

She sometimes just randomly start sneezing for about 30s or so(most likely seasonal allergies, both vets say it's that). Could that be a reason for the brown stained feathers?

Off-topic, but how necessary is an air purifier? Is there anything I need to know about them? So far, I've heard they need to have a HEPA filter or something like that, and not be ionizing because apparently it's bad for them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yeah.. maybe I should contact the vet and tell him the poops are VERY big, like 10 times the normal size.

I find it quite odd, she has one or two big poops in the morning, and after that, it goes back to normal. I have no idea why.
Maybe those are just morning poops. If she doesnโ€™t go at night sheโ€™s gotta get it out in morning. If then they are normal thatโ€™s what I think. My Meyers has giant morning poops.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She has never had "morning poops" before, really..

Like I said, she is super hormonal now, more than ever... might be why she has bigger poops now. I have put her with the males again, is that a bad idea? She just became so lonely and bored and I couldnโ€™t handle it anymore.. If it's a bad idea I'll just put her in a cage with Sunny.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
She has never had "morning poops" before, really..

Like I said, she is super hormonal now, more than ever... might be why she has bigger poops now. I have put her with the males again, is that a bad idea? She just became so lonely and bored and I couldnโ€™t handle it anymore.. If it's a bad idea I'll just put her in a cage with Sunny.
Well, then they maybe arenโ€™t morning poops but egg poops. ?? Snowyโ€™s vent area was poofy in those photos and she was brooding in the foraging bag. But if sheโ€™s back with the boys you may end up with baby birds. Do you have a female bird she could be with and be less lonely?

And what do you mean, sheโ€™s super- hormonal?

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Well, then they maybe arenโ€™t morning poops but egg poops. ?? Snowyโ€™s vent area was poofy in those photos and she was brooding in the foraging bag. But if sheโ€™s back with the boys you may end up with baby birds. Do you have a female bird she could be with and be less lonely?

Her vent doesn't really look puffy anymore.. I'll separate her with Sunny so that she will not have babies

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She is showing more hormonal behaviour than she usually does.. not really "super hormonal", I didn't word that correctly, sorry! I meant she is showing more hormonal behaviour..

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I put her in the cage with the boys and Sunny.. So I can't really see... (sigh) I put her in her own cage now, I'll check for anything odd and I'll let you know :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well nobody should be having big poops, so if there was anything abnormal..
Sending health well wishes

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well nobody should be having big poops, so if there was anything abnormal..
Sending health well wishes
She is showing more hormonal behaviour than she usually does.. not really "super hormonal", I didn't word that correctly, sorry! I meant she is showing more hormonal behaviour..
What hormonal behavior is she showing?
Thatโ€™s what I meant to ask. I wasnโ€™t being sarcastic. Sorry.

I am glad Snowyโ€™s vent area is not puffy anymore. Maybe by taking away the nest stimulus you dodged the egg-laying bullet. I hope thatโ€™s the case.

Lots of people think itโ€™s cute to put a nest or hut in with their female bird because the bird โ€œlikes it so muchโ€ and end up with a bird laying eggs or an egg bound bird. The easiest way to prevent that is not to have anything that looks or seems like a nest in with a female bird.

ฯฮนgฯฮนzฯ…

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
โ‹†โœง ๐’ซ๐“Š๐“‚๐“…๐“€๐’พ๐“ƒ ~ ๐น๐‘’๐“‚๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝโ™ก๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘”

๐’ซ๐‘’๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“Š๐“‰ ~ ๐‘€๐’ถ๐“๐‘’ ๐’œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‡๐’พ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ ๐’ฎ๐’ฝ๐Ÿฌ๐“‡๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐’พ๐“‡๐‘’๐’น ๐’ข๐“Š๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐’ถ-๐“…๐’พ๐‘” โœงโ‹†
i wish snowy the best of health!

Most Reactions

Latest posts