Snuggle up cage heater?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, I'm running into an issue. It's started to get really cold in Colorado and I only have one space heater and I don't really want to get another that will only get use until Aster is out of quarantine then be shoved into a closet somewhere to gather dust. I see lots of people use these snuggle up heaters but they've always frightened me. Something about having a heating element in their cage just scares me. Are they truly safe?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I use these. It gets only a Little warmer than normal human body temp. I have two, one for the budgie cage and one for Sunny's cage. Actually, I took out the budgie-one temporarily, thanks for the reminder to put it back in! My Sunny seems to sleep next to hers most nights.

I do check it reasonably often. (My intention was to check it DAILY but i admit it do not Always do so. I have had been using these heaters so long I basically trust them. )

Basically I just place my hand against it for a little while. It should feel about like the face of someone with a fever or a high fever. I've never had it be warmer than that.

There are also heated PERCHES that exist. I would NOT recommend these. It seems they are mostly fine, but, from what I have read, IF one were defective and overheated, the birds continued sleeping on it and harmed their feet. So even though a defect may be quite rare, the risk with the heated PERCHES is too much for me.

But these snuggle heaters, IF it were to warm up too much, the bird will just move away. (Make sure the perch near the heater is situated, so that moving away is quite easy!)

Indeed, as mentioned, my Sunny usually sleeps by hers. But. if I let the room get warm in the summer, she moves away and does Not sleep near the heater. So the bird knows what temp it wants to be.

Having said all this, my Sunny is rather less-destructive than many birds. My budgies Can be destructive, but they have not shown any interest in these cords. The cords and the heater's cage attachments are all more-well-protected than most electrical cords, with a sort of wrap over the actual cord, and a sort of covered connector, all in a rather boring black color. The heater itself is a relatively smooth boring gray, again designed to be less-attractive to exploratory beaks. However, you might want to inspect and evaluate that for yourself, in terms of your own birds destructive abilities and tendencies. From Amazon it should be returnable, if examine it and feel it would not be secure enough for your bird.

pearlthegoffin

Sep 29, 2021
Oakland, Michigan.
Parrots
23 y/o Goffins Cockatoo ~ PEARLšŸ¤
I legitimately just bought the k&h 4x7 heater a couple days ago for my Goffins Cockatoo Pearl and It just delivered today! So far so good, Iā€™m loving it. itā€™s NOT HOT. just warm. it radiates heat probably 2-3 inches in front if it. and I had it on all day (10+ hours) just to double check if it was getting to hot. (it stays the same exact temperature except when you first plug in and itā€™s turning on/warming up.) My only concern with this product is the chew-proof cord lies against the cage. so Iā€™m thinking about ā€˜bird proofingā€™ it with some PVC pipe behind the heater so it doesnā€™t dangle too close. (I attached a photo that I found in the amazon reviews)ā€¦. Also from what Iā€™ve heard in reviews about this product you can still use a cage cover/blanket at night because it doesnā€™t get hot. I monitored it all day with the cover on and the wires, cage, NOTHING gets hot so so far so good, (Iā€™m still waiting another 24 hrs with this thing before I let my baby sleep with it) Hope this helps! If i have anything bad to say about this device iā€™ll come back and update.
Hope this helps,
- Jenna ~ Pearl The Goffin

Attachments

• 67DC5495-E9A6-4E54-9AB6-59071457341E.png
    67DC5495-E9A6-4E54-9AB6-59071457341E.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 123
  • D67F7F7E-6CE0-45C1-92C6-6B5CAD315A3C.jpeg
    D67F7F7E-6CE0-45C1-92C6-6B5CAD315A3C.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 121
  • B1458F43-0484-4644-8953-E531D361868D.png
    B1458F43-0484-4644-8953-E531D361868D.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 121

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Winter is a STANDARD event in North America and it is fairly easy to know whether your area is or will become colder as Winter sets in. A space heater is rarely a correct means of solving an issue of cold in the Great White North.

As you say, this is only for a short time, so yes such a product can be safely used. As with any product that has an electrical wire attached to it, normal care to assure that your Parrot does not chew it is required.

If this is your home, it is time to upgrade it to assure all areas are equally comfortable. The needed attentions /specific items are well known by quality contractor in the Great White North with most Utilities providing Home Evaluations to target specific issues and help with either finding a contractor or grants to upgrade to current technology to keep warm and save energy during Winter and Summer.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Winter is a STANDARD event in North America and it is fairly easy to know whether your area is or will become colder as Winter sets in. A space heater is rarely a correct means of solving an issue of cold in the Great White North.

As you say, this is only for a short time, so yes such a product can be safely used. As with any product that has an electrical wire attached to it, normal care to assure that your Parrot does not chew it is required.

If this is your home, it is time to upgrade it to assure all areas are equally comfortable. The needed attentions /specific items are well known by quality contractor in the Great White North with most Utilities providing Home Evaluations to target specific issues and help with either finding a contractor or grants to upgrade to current technology to keep warm and save energy during Winter and Summer.
thank you everyone for the response. our house doesnt have the best especially at night but the space heater in the bird room (my old bedroom) is adequate enough. Hopefully Aster will be out of quarantine by the time the cold REALLY sets in so she will be able to benefit from the space heater.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
So, I got this and it's been in the cage for a couple days now. I touched it today and it literally doesn't feel warm at all. I don't know if I got a faulty one or if I'm doing something wrong. How aggrivating.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As you know, you should feel something warmer than ambient temperature. If not, liking faulty! Return and try again!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So, I got this and it's been in the cage for a couple days now. I touched it today and it literally doesn't feel warm at all. I don't know if I got a faulty one or if I'm doing something wrong. How aggrivating.
Mine both when you touch them, feel like touching the forehead of someone with a fever. It does vary, sometimes feels like someone with a high fever or sometimes a low fever. But still, that puts it always in the range from somewhere above 98F to below 104F. Check your connections, and check that it's plugged in... (also check your wall socket with a lamp or something, make sure the socket is working!) ....and otherwise if it's still not at least Slightly Warm to the touch, then you should return it as defective and request a replacement. :)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yeah I tried a different outlet and it still appears to nor be warming up so looks like I'll be returning it and getting a new one

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
As I posted in another thread on the subject, I leave mine plugged in 24/7/365 and Nike snuggles up to it every night, even when the house is hot. I think it fulfills a birds natural instinct to huddle up together or in a nest at night though the Hawkheads are kind of solitary.

Most Reactions