So just a little update on my IRP

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Well its been a week now and he or she is actually making bird noises and sometimes loud lol but for the most part not a noisy bird at all. He steps up no problems and hand out with me on shoulder most of time. He wont take scritches 100% all the time unless he is facing away from me and then I can and he lets me for a while. But now is getting a little nippy and now all of a sudden he was nibbling my ears but sometimes harder then I liked lol. But for the most part still very good and now I started target training with a clicker and using sunflower seeds as a treat which he loves. Please let me know if his behavior so far is normal and what else I can and should expect. Thanks all...

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
you are doing really good. Once they hit puberty though, they will become very hormonal and aggressive. When they hit adult hood, this will only happen in breeding season, and they wont be as hormonal and aggressive as they were.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
you are doing really good. Once they hit puberty though, they will become very hormonal and aggressive. When they hit adult hood, this will only happen in breeding season, and they wont be as hormonal and aggressive as they were.
Got it. What age are we looking at approximately to hit puberty?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think this is a fantastic update! Nice work, both of you!

Maybe @that bird expert has been through puberty with ringnecks - I've only been with my bird since he was 18 months old but got his ring right when I first knew him so I might have missed it. So far he hasn't been aggressive when he's hormonal; just grumpy.

At your bird's age my guess is that he's just testing what's allowed. Just like a human kid does :) One method that I've heard works pretty well to teach them where your boundaries are is "shunning" - right after he nibbles too hard, place him on the back of a chair or any surface near but not on you, turn your back for a count of three, then turn back to him. I got to practice this with some young IRP last year, giving them tiny bits of walnut, and the person who showed me had me say "no, gentle" then turn around for a count of three. It was so fun to see them come back sooooo gently for the next treat :)

Clicker training is great; I'm so impressed with how much he's learned already! I hope you keep updating us as you go - my progress has been so slow and it's really fun to see how you're doing!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
PUBERTY - its different for every parrot, some get hit really hard, some not so much. FOr my little Amazon, we hardly noticed when he hit puberty, he got a little louder , a little nippy, but not much. THen a year or so later, his first mating season, WOW, it was really hard. Like nite and day. You just have to try to minimize the triggers and not let undesireable behavior become permanent.
Triggers are
touching anywhere other then head and neck
having access to dark hidey spots
access to shreddy type nest material
diet high in sugary foods like corn
Not getting enough good solid quiet sleep

You cant eliminate hormonal behavior but you can minimize it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts