So, then, how DO I find a macaw?

homyakchik

Sep 13, 2019
North Little Rock, Arkansas
So.

Been a pet lover for many years now, and my family's a pet-loving one as well. Thought for many years about acquiring a bird of my own. Big guy; would prefer a larger bird, which pretty much narrows it down to a macaw. Hyacinthines come well-thought-of, and blue-and-golds as well.

Read Von1983's FAQ on parrot ownership in general. Laughed where required, nodded understandingly in other places. Been researching this for a while. No surprises.

Two friends local have macaws. One female (Florida) was stand-offish at first, but likes me well enough now. Two-macaw flock with the other friend, and both Wilbur and Orville are gregarious to a fault (and then some); they like me, I like them.

Problem is, I apparently live in the Macaw Desert (the state of Arkansas). Pet stores don't carry birds that size, and Petco/PetsMart are the only choice for hundreds of miles. (Don't mind a drive. If I'm just looking, got two lovely motorcycles to choose from. Were I picking up I have access to all manner of four-wheeled vehicles.) There are apparently NO bird rescue places any closer than the lower part of Missouri, and when I called those I was told not to bother coming up to look/visit; too many 'locals' were already eyeing said macaws.

Was cooped up at home for a week this past week. Spent many amusing text messages messing with would-be bird swindlers (hint: most reputable businesses don't require, or likely accept, bitcoin, and most will offer paypal even if they REALLY want western union or moneygram).

Wouldn't balk at raising a macaw from a hatchling, but read way too many messages on these boards about how nobody reputable will sell "fertile eggs" ( which is a pity; have raised kittens, puppies and ferrets from hatchlings, and didn't balk at THOSE conditions or schedules).

There's a large bird rescue place in Texas, but they have a really ridiculous list of requirements before they'll let you re-home a bird. (Ferret Rescue places are equally full of themselves.) Found one lady in southwestern Missouri who said she was a breeder, but she doesn't return phone calls or email.

SO: (you knew there had to be a question event;ually...) Since I'm pretty much aware of what I'm letting myself in for, and have a pet-loving background sufficient to get me through (re)homing a macaw... where do I go about looking to FIND one? My best bet would obviously be a breeder, preferably local but remembering that I'm not against a road trip, but none of them seem to have any contact information that I can google. I met a nice lady with a young macaw at a pet store a half-hour north of me who gave me the phone number of the breeder she got her own bird at, but I lost the number before I could call it.

Those who have their own macaws, how did you go about acquiring our bird? As I said, I apparently live in the Great Macaw Wasteland hereabouts. Anyone know of any breeders or rescue stations or the like that might be willing to talk to me? I swear, I always thought my google-fu was pretty good, but this is ridiculous. Neither of my bird-equipped friends is a breeder, and they acquired all their birds years and years back.

I'm frustrated, but still trying hard. Figured this place might help me keep hoping. (Yes, I keep reading any thread that looks like it might hold out yet more hope.)

Little did anyone realize that I can write really fast. :)

Thanks to all.

Davey
(no, I no longer have ferrets. Alas)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard Davey, you seem to have well researched the folly of "fertilized eggs." More rare than "hen's teeth" because they are all but impossible commodities. You would not believe how many scam ads are purged from our forums.

If you are not able to source local macaws, it may be necessary to contact a trusted and well reviewed breeder in another state. Many folks send weaned juveniles via air freight with high degree of success. Seasonal weather embargoes may complicate shipping a bit depending on departure and arrival locales.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
What scott said, its not at all unusual to have to buy parrots from breeders out of state and have them shipped to you (via airline and pet carrier, not parcel). www.birdbreeders.com is one of the main locations to look for breeders, but by no means the only place.

You can also keep an eye on your local craigslist for local pet owners who are looking to rehome their bird.

A quick note on the rescues: They have these requirements for a reason. Parrots are the 3rd most popular pet, but by far the most neglected and rehomed (granted hermit crabs are probably even more neglected). Thea average parrot will see 5-7 homes in their lifetime. They are not easy pets, and the rescues are dedicated to ending the rehoming cycle.

OP
H

homyakchik

Sep 13, 2019
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Craigslist: ha-ha-hah; it is to laugh. Not a single honest listing anywhere in Arkansas (so far as I found through a couple of days of looking); even including Memphis netted me absolutely nothing but scam artists (and by this point their amusement factor was pretty low). (Ironically, just out of boredom, I searched Arkansas craigslistings for "ferret" too, and wound up with pretty much the same thing; just a different crop of scam artists is all.)

I do sympathize in that pets that've been badly homed do need an advocate. Problem arises (ferrets, not parrots) when I know how better to take care than the Rescue Things do.

Do I include parrot rescue places in such? Not necessarily yet (except for that bunch in Texas. I'm not going to pay someone to come to my house and look around). But I can land recommendations from my friends who already have such birds, and if someone wants me to take an online class on Parrot Maintenance, I'm sure I can work something out.

It's just frustrating when I know quite well what I'm looking at getting into, and then I have to deal with people who may mean well but who wear it poorly.

Oddly enough, the more I search, the more I like the idea of adopting. Been my approach to our family pets for ages now, and has never worked out badly. Couple of places will only adopt out if I'm near them--not finding fault with that. Others say that they could work with me, as I'm stuck out in Parrot Sahara. I thank all who've responded, and I'm still keeping my spirits up about this possibility.

Visited with a smaller parrot at the up-north pet store this afternoon. After she honked my fingers--presumably to let me know who was boss--she climbed my arm and sat on my shoulder (while two people in line essentially shrieked when she "nipped" me). All very good-natured, and reaffirmed my decision to try this.

Yeah, I plan on asking lots of questions around here. :)

Davey

Last edited by a moderator:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Davey, you’re certainly welcome to ask all the questions you like. Most rescues are very reputable, and do nothing less than gods work helping these poor creatures (and I’m not even religious). Your agreeance with adoption policies is irrelevant. They exist for a reason.

It’s a bit arrogant and presumptive to say on one hand you’ll be asking a lot of questions Here since you don’t know much, then turn around saying you know more than those who manage dozens of birds at on a daily basis. You’ve got a lot to learn. Perhaps sparing the rod and crassness, and simply listening might be a better approach to getting you where you’re trying to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
OK, trying to find a bird in Arkansas. First, if there are any avian vets nearby, put a card with your name and phone number on it on their corkboard that you are looking to rehome a bird. This will also work at any zoo nearby. Get a copy of Birdtalk magazine and look in the back pages for when the next bird mart is going to be somewhere near you and take an adventure trip. Lastly, see if there are any bird clubs in your area where there will be lots of people who have connections to birds or raise them.

Countrygirl

Nov 9, 2019
Arkansas
Parrots
Hahns macaw
I just got a hahns macaw on craigslist AND I live in Arkansas, so it isnt totally impossible.
He is an adult who's owner died and he has some issues. Which I was expecting and looking forward to overcoming. Only reason I got him was lucky timing. That post was up for less than a day. Best way to out a scammer is to say you are willing to travel however far to pick it up and pay cash in person. Scammers will block you and refuse to answer. Good luck on your search for a feathered friend

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Rescues do home visits to make sure your are prepared and have a large enough cage and space for the bird. You maybe right and know the huge commitment involve and have the required setup for a Macaw. You have to look at it from the the other side perspectives. They get a lot of people that buy on impulse, don't have proper setup, lack the knowledge needed to care for the bird properly, or to flip the bird for higher price. Hence one of the reasons if they consider you they have you interact with the bird for a while to see how it goes. Some even have offer classes. So they are usually very strict on who they re-home a bird to, especially being they live almost as long as you do and they don't want the bird to go to a bad situation, or get re-homed shortly afterwards. You have to take into consideration they don't know you personally. You maybe a great person that will take good care of the bird and give it a good home, but they don't know that and reason they do the extensive application process, ask a lot of questions and do pretty much the require visits and have you come and interact with the bird.

To be honest I won't want to take a chance on re-homing a bird to you just for the fact you don't want someone going into your home, as it throws up a huge red flag? Why and what are your trying to hide? Even with dogs they usually do home visits as they did with my mother when she adopted a Siberian Husky.

Craigslist and Facebook, yes tons of scammers, you have to learn how to use certain keywords so scammers won't bother replying to you, or block you and all is about timing. Yes people found birds in your area successfully. You just have to know the game and avoid the scams and not give up so easily, otherwise you may never find a Macaw, or take really long. Never assume anything.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Nov 9, 2019
Arkansas
Parrots
Hahns macaw
There is a pair of older b & g's on cl right now. Listed under littlerock pets located in Beebe. Only been there for 5 hrs

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Welcome to the forum, and good luck finding a macaw for yourself
There is a thing here in Aus with eggs being brough in unnoticed with all these rare and wonderful birds poping up all around the place, say for example we do not have horned parrots here, but people have them in tubs handraising them on the dinner table and when you ask to see the parents, they say they do not have them
Thanks
Noah Till

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
So.

Been a pet lover for many years now, and my family's a pet-loving one as well. Thought for many years about acquiring a bird of my own. Big guy; would prefer a larger bird, which pretty much narrows it down to a macaw. Hyacinthines come well-thought-of, and blue-and-golds as well.

Read Von1983's FAQ on parrot ownership in general. Laughed where required, nodded understandingly in other places. Been researching this for a while. No surprises.

Two friends local have macaws. One female (Florida) was stand-offish at first, but likes me well enough now. Two-macaw flock with the other friend, and both Wilbur and Orville are gregarious to a fault (and then some); they like me, I like them.

Problem is, I apparently live in the Macaw Desert (the state of Arkansas). Pet stores don't carry birds that size, and Petco/PetsMart are the only choice for hundreds of miles. (Don't mind a drive. If I'm just looking, got two lovely motorcycles to choose from. Were I picking up I have access to all manner of four-wheeled vehicles.) There are apparently NO bird rescue places any closer than the lower part of Missouri, and when I called those I was told not to bother coming up to look/visit; too many 'locals' were already eyeing said macaws.

Was cooped up at home for a week this past week. Spent many amusing text messages messing with would-be bird swindlers (hint: most reputable businesses don't require, or likely accept, bitcoin, and most will offer paypal even if they REALLY want western union or moneygram).

Wouldn't balk at raising a macaw from a hatchling, but read way too many messages on these boards about how nobody reputable will sell "fertile eggs" ( which is a pity; have raised kittens, puppies and ferrets from hatchlings, and didn't balk at THOSE conditions or schedules).

There's a large bird rescue place in Texas, but they have a really ridiculous list of requirements before they'll let you re-home a bird. (Ferret Rescue places are equally full of themselves.) Found one lady in southwestern Missouri who said she was a breeder, but she doesn't return phone calls or email.

SO: (you knew there had to be a question event;ually...) Since I'm pretty much aware of what I'm letting myself in for, and have a pet-loving background sufficient to get me through (re)homing a macaw... where do I go about looking to FIND one? My best bet would obviously be a breeder, preferably local but remembering that I'm not against a road trip, but none of them seem to have any contact information that I can google. I met a nice lady with a young macaw at a pet store a half-hour north of me who gave me the phone number of the breeder she got her own bird at, but I lost the number before I could call it.

Those who have their own macaws, how did you go about acquiring our bird? As I said, I apparently live in the Great Macaw Wasteland hereabouts. Anyone know of any breeders or rescue stations or the like that might be willing to talk to me? I swear, I always thought my google-fu was pretty good, but this is ridiculous. Neither of my bird-equipped friends is a breeder, and they acquired all their birds years and years back.

I'm frustrated, but still trying hard. Figured this place might help me keep hoping. (Yes, I keep reading any thread that looks like it might hold out yet more hope.)

Little did anyone realize that I can write really fast. :)

Thanks to all.

Davey
(no, I no longer have ferrets. Alas)
Trust me, I know how you feel about certain rescues, there's this rescue in Michigan and the owner, well, she could use a few anger management classes.
She was so full of herself about someone my age and with autism adopting a cockatoo, she attacked me online and leaked my personal information which caused me to end up in the hospital from a heart attack.
I recommend petclassifieds.com
That's how I finally got my cockatoo, I met a cop who was rehoming him for only $600. And this too was a rescue.
So please check that site and see if you can't maybe find your dream bird.
Also I never recommend pet stores, not a good place to get a bird.

Most Reactions