Soaked pellets?

Genlisae

Jul 7, 2007
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pepper (Lovebird)
It really has only been two days since I introduced Pepper to pellets I know; that lack of patience thing....

Anyway.. this morning I discovered that pepper LOVES whole soaked barley (stolen from the bowl on the counter while I was making breakfast). I ended up putting him back in his cage while I finished cooking. NO bath's in boiling water for him. He went to his food presumably to go eat.

A few minutes later I noticed he wasn't eating seeds. He wasn't eating anything really. What he was doing was cracking the pellets open rolling them around in his beak for a few seconds (like he does to get the good bits out of the seeds) and then spitting them back in his dish. I dropped a few more grains of soaked barely in his dish and he ate them immediately then went back to cracking pellets.

What I am wondering is, if I was to soak his pellets just slightly to see if he will eat them that way would that cause any ill effects? I can't see how it would aside from going rancid really quickly which of course I wouldn't leave them there long enough to do that.

Two days and he is at least looking for food in the pellets is wonderful progress I know, not so good at patience lol!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Yep, soaking pellets is fine ... just make sure to clean the dish and any flung or stuck on food after. Also, if he loves the barley so much try mixing the soaked barley and the soaked pellets together ... by eating the barley, her will by default taste the pellets too :D ... it works :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
My Rosella George, is a great one for soaked anything food wise, but if I was to give her soaked food of any sort she won't eat it. What she does is take a beak full of food, hop over to the water dish and in it goes, she leaves it for a few mins and then hops back to eat it. It hasn't done her any harm, but then the poor little soul is a little brain damaged. (thats not from eating the soaked food I hasten to add.)

Yeah just make sure you change it regularly

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Some birds, who have a water bottle (which my birds look at like a shower), like to stuff their pellets up the nozzle thing and then the water bottle gets clogged and well a mess and dehydration.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm gonna count the number of times I change the little guys water today, and I'll even post a picture of said water :eek: The one first thing in the morning is the worst, cos she's got all night to put stuff in it. It kinda looks like it hasn't been changed in a month :eek:

I have put a water bottle up now, but as yet I haven't seen anyone use it. :(

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Glad you said it, 'cause I have been thinking it for about a week now. :18:

Most Reactions

Latest posts