Solilize My Cockatoo, in Covid times

Cyell

Apr 5, 2019
Hey, so my Cockatoo was just getting used to socialization when I got her from my sisters ( family bird, that was tame, then got untame with my sister, then lived with me), but then Coivd hit.

Going into it a bit more, I got her from my sister, and she was unsocialized with humans and other animals. Also, she was very lord and hormonal as Chelsea ( my cockatoo), thought of my sister as her mate ( As my sister liked to touch her, where she should not). So I slowly got Chelsea okay with head pets and some training. And was having her get used to my friends who came over, as she never got much interaction.

However, with covid, the only interactions she has mostly gotten these last few years are just me...... Making her think I am her mate ( no I do not touch her under the wings, or places, I give her 12 hours of sleep, I take her out every day). However, she only sees me, so she gets attached.

So she has gotten to the point she tried to/ has biten my family when they come over, as she is not used to people anymore. And this is a problem. So I was wondering if there is a way to resolilate her ( like is there a Zoom hangout with other parrots going on?, or a way to ease her back with the family?, or clicker training ?).

Please do let me know, as I really want her not so dependent on me, and allow others again near her.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
CYELL,
I feel you, I think I have even become unsocialized @

What has worked with mine. Everyone who comes over says hello and hands a treat . If she doesn't take treats nice. Get a small treat only dish that they put it in. They also say goodbye and give treat. Visitor now equall treats but no demands.

At first practice with your most bird savvy person. Have her in a calm good mood. Have her on you, then ask her to step to their arm then right back to you and give treat. I only do a couple if times in a row then a break. Do that as often as you can. When she is great at that she can step from you to them and they give her a treat then back to You for a treat . You can start extending the amount of time she stays on them very slow. At first a few seconds then a couple if minutes. They don't try and touch her just sweet talk her and give the treat.

As long as my birds start with me, they will step to anyone I ask them to. I also has 2 years of no one allowed in my home . But the first stranger to them , my neighbor, who came over just recently the stepped to him easy as you please when I asked them to.

They choose if they want anyone to give head scratches. But they are willing to hang out with everyone.. but they will not step from perch or cages to them . That's best for mine as quakers can be territorial. Plus if they are on me I can better tell their mood, and love Jolly them up.

Hope tgst helps.

Then you can move to hanging out on the couch together and maybe passing her back and forth.

Even if I don't get mine out I make every Visitor go say hi sbd give a treat

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Laura hits one out of the park. A gentle game of the parrot version of "Hot Potato" with treat added. We did this a lot when Salty was a young bird and he is pretty social now. Of course, they are capable of singling out an individual and not liking them ( for us it's my youngest son). But even that can be remedied to a certain extent by copious amounts of well timed treats.

Most Reactions

Latest posts