Solo kakariki company?

Rangi

May 2, 2023
Hello. I'm new here, and to bird keeping, so wanted to intro
Screenshot_2023-04-27-20-18-32-82_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
duce myself. My name's Helen. I have a female kakariki, born in January this year. I've had her just over a month now and I'm in love šŸ¦šŸ©·.
I'm with her for hours on end and she spends a lot of the time out of her cage but I wonder if she is lonely?
I wouldn't want to breed so maybe a female companion. Maybe a smaller bird that typically get along. (Yes I would introduce in storage cages first). Or another animal she could share space with!?
There are a lot of bird sounds she hears through the window but if she hears a kakariki sound she seems very interested. Am I reading the signals wrong?
Any help or suggestions to this newbie gratefully appreciated.
Have a lovely day( I have tried to attach a pic of her)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello. I'm new here, and to bird keeping, so wanted to introView attachment 49912duce myself. My name's Helen. I have a female kakariki, born in January this year. I've had her just over a month now and I'm in love šŸ¦šŸ©·.
I'm with her for hours on end and she spends a lot of the time out of her cage but I wonder if she is lonely?
I wouldn't want to breed so maybe a female companion. Maybe a smaller bird that typically get along. (Yes I would introduce in storage cages first). Or another animal she could share space with!?
There are a lot of bird sounds she hears through the window but if she hears a kakariki sound she seems very interested. Am I reading the signals wrong?
Ooo sheā€™s such a pretty bird! Iā€™ve never seen that color of kakariki before!
Whatā€™s her name?

As far as your question goes, you can get her a friend but only if you want another bird to care for. Thereā€™s always the chance that they wonā€™t like each other and wonā€™t be able to be let out of their cages at the same time.
If you want another bird and feel you can handle two then go for it!
I donā€™t own a kakariki but in many parrot species the females tend to not get along so well.

OP
R

Rangi

May 2, 2023
Ooo sheā€™s such a pretty bird! Iā€™ve never seen that color of kakariki before!
Whatā€™s her name?

As far as your question goes, you can get her a friend but only if you want another bird to care for. Thereā€™s always the chance that they wonā€™t like each other and wonā€™t be able to be let out of their cages at the same time.
I donā€™t own a kakariki but in many parrot species the females tend to not get along so well.
Thank you. Name TBC.... It was Skyla Day Summers (because I thought her chest looked like the sky on a summers day) I'm moving towards a Maori name now! Can keep you posted....šŸ¤£
Good advice as I really don't want another bird I just don't want her to feel lonely.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello. I'm new here, and to bird keeping, so wanted to introView attachment 49912duce myself. My name's Helen. I have a female kakariki, born in January this year. I've had her just over a month now and I'm in love šŸ¦šŸ©·.
I wouldn't want to breed so maybe a female companion. Maybe a smaller bird that typically get along. (Yes I would introduce in storage cages first). Or another animal she could share space with!
I would not get her a companion- YOU are her companion and may well lose that status if you introduced

OP
R

Rangi

May 2, 2023
I would not get her a companion- YOU are her companion and may well lose that status if you introduced

Flippin' heck, YES! When you say it like that. Made me feel much better, thank you. She is more than enough for me, hopefully she feels the same šŸ„°šŸ¦
(Not sure if I replied/posted in the right place)

OP
R

Rangi

May 2, 2023
Thank you. Name TBC.... It was Skyla Day Summers (because I thought her chest looked like the sky on a summers day) I'm moving towards a Maori name now! Can keep you posted....šŸ¤£
Good advice as I really don't want another bird I just don't want her to feel lonely.
PS her colouring was described as blue/split cream (pied?). I know it's not thier natural colour so need to watch out for health esp her eyes apparently...

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Whatā€™s her name?

Hi, she is a pretty bird, I have kakariki, one was rescued from a pet store from a very small cage ( I know this is not a best solution but could not resist), and got a company for him. Or at least I was told it is a him but we got an egg since then:).They like each other I always think it is best to have the same species they need

Most Reactions