Some advice pls

Sfriday1975

Jun 24, 2021
Medway kent
Parrots
African grey
My African grey has been very unsteady on his feet ,slow and sleepy ..he's struggling to climb about his cage ,,,he's normally very active and I'm worried sick about him , could he be tired due to mice keeping him awake ?,
5 days ago I hung a arcadia 39watt 6% UVB LAMP above his cage ,,,he's been fine up until this morning,,,could it be lack of sleep do u think .
Thank you

OP
S

Sfriday1975

Jun 24, 2021
Medway kent
Parrots
African grey
Booked for 13,30 ,,,any ideas ,he's still eating and moving about slowly,,but does spend most of his time down on bottom perch ..
Thanks for the reply I'm so worried

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Sfriday,

Birds usually hide their symptoms the longest they can. Many things can cause the what you are observing, it is possibly an infection. Can you detect anyhting different in the feces?

Lack if sleep would hardly produce this behaviour alone, the bird would also show strong signs of distress and anxiety, which is not the case.

Hoping for a speedy recovering

Cheers

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Without knowing anything about the diet and conditions of your bird.
I would like to mention that AFrican grey parrots are susceptible to calcium deficiency.
Some of what you described could be due to that
Lack of sleep should not cause sitting at the bottom of the cage.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your AG! Perfect advice above on all counts, glad you have prompt appointment. Most important for the vet to be avian certified for fastest diagnosis and best treatment. Many "exotic" vets see birds without requisite education and equipment. Sometimes that is all you can find within reasonable drive, but if you have a choice, please go with expertise.

Hope your Grey has a good visit and begins treatment for full recovery. Please keep us updated or if you have questions!!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! Something that was said in passing- "could he be tired due to mice keeping him awake"! There is a real lot wrong in that potential! Disease? Take your pick! The saliva from the mice is deadly to your little one! I hope you mentioned this to the vet and he considered a bacterial infection as a strong possibility!

Most Reactions