Some cage help please!

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I'm new to birds. I have a male 5month old Indian ringneck. He's absolutely amazing, very trusting, very affectionate. A bit of a terrorist if I'm trying to do something, but otherwise incredibly well behaved! I only got bitten for the first 3 days and he's molting and bluffing so I consider myself lucky. His cage was new so I expected some hesitation, and he's out most of the day, but by the third day he was In and out for snacks. But the evening is an absolute nightmare!!! I've put tinfoil on the curtain poles because he tries to roost up there. I could literally offer heroine and he refuses to go in! Any advice would be great!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm looking forward to what other people suggest because this is a struggle in my home too! My African Ringneck roosts as high as he can get at the window, and it's starting to be cold overnight.

Good luck to both of us!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
At my house, "The parrot is always right.", which may make me wrong. :unsure: 😬

You want to roost up high, do you? Okay, here you go.

1665348358750.png

That photo was taken to capture the cause of some crazy chaos in the Conure Club, just the other day. Note there are three birds in the photo; one was an unexpected guest. Also note the "sleeping boxes" toward the top of the photo.

The one on the right was modeled after this one I borrowed from my local rescue.
1665348557074.png

I made a more custom-fitted one, that fit the cage better for the rescue.
1665348636853.png

The downward angle of the perch allows the tail to pass to the back.

I made a double-wide version for a bonded-pair of Amazons.
1665348708735.png

I made a crooked version for Grady boy.
1665348864766.jpeg

1665348527567.png

Like all real estate: location, location, location. :] At the rescue, high in the cage. At home, high in the room, er, aviary, er, I mean house, no aviary. :LOL:

1665349633887.png

OP
S

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck

You want to roost up high, do you?

View attachment 44887

That photo was taken to capture the cause of some crazy chaos in the Conure Club, just the other day. Note there are three birds in the photo; one was an unexpected guest. Also note the "sleeping boxes" toward the top of the photo.

The one on the right was modeled after this one I borrowed from my local rescue.
View attachment 44890

View attachment 44891

View attachment 44892

View attachment 44893

View attachment 44889

Like all real estate: location, location, location. :] At the rescue, high in the cage. At home, high in the room, er, aviary, er, I mean house, no aviary. :LOL:

View attachment 44895

Okay, here you go.

View attachment 44887

View attachment 44890

View attachment 44891

View attachment 44892

View attachment 44893

View attachment 44889

View attachment 44895
Wow that looks amazing! Wish I had a house thar t

View attachment 44887

View attachment 44890

View attachment 44891

View attachment 44892

View attachment 44893

View attachment 44889

View attachment 44895
Youre so lucky you have the space for an aviary! We're in a flat.

OP
S

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I'm looking forward to what other people suggest because this is a struggle in my home too! My African Ringneck roosts as high as he can get at the window, and it's starting to be cold overnight.

Good luck to both of us!
Honestly I always feel awful putting him in his cage. But last night I put him in at 6 with some fruit. Before he disappeared to the curtain. He clung to the bars looking at me like a psycho for a bit, then chilled. I started to put the covers down about an hour later

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
@Souplahoopla have you found any good tricks yet? Feeding my ringneck something he really likes inside his cage about 30 minutes before he normally roosts for the night worked for me for a while.

Sometimes changing the cage setup a bit works for mine, too - he isn't at all scared of new things though - he gets really interested in what's been changed and goes in to investigate and gets lots of treats from me for doing so. And then I let him out again before he gets antsy.

(He can't fly for now or I'd be more concerned about his being safer at night, with the layout of my home's rooms - he's currently still sleeping by the window, which will be a problem as it gets colder at night!)

OP
S

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
@Souplahoopla have you found any good tricks yet? Feeding my ringneck something he really likes inside his cage about 30 minutes before he normally roosts for the night worked for me for a while.

Sometimes changing the cage setup a bit works for mine, too - he isn't at all scared of new things though - he gets really interested in what's been changed and goes in to investigate and gets lots of treats from me for doing so. And then I let him out again before he gets antsy.

(He can't fly for now or I'd be more concerned about his being safer at night, with the layout of my home's rooms - he's currently still sleeping by the window, which will be a problem as it gets colder at night!)
We are operating on stealth right now. The absolute beautiful boy is a complete asshole. It's going to take time. He loves grape, im holding it till bed time

Most Reactions

Latest posts