Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
Okay so I have had many years of handfeeding experience but this time I’m getting a bit worried. I have a baby indian ringneck that I’m currently handfeeding. The breeder didn’t tell me her age and now ignores my phone calls and texts, I’ve tried countless times to get into contact with her. My avian vet said that everything sounds good but this baby all of a sudden doesn’t want to hand feed as much. I’m clearly worried, I’m really worried but everything around me is saying she is alright but I know her. Her feeding response isn’t strong anymore but she is eating millet.

I fear maybe I messed up? I had to force her to eat one syringe of hand feeding formula at 7:00PM. She usually calls for me and eats sooner than that. She is active and roaming around but it seems like something is wrong I can’t shake the feeling. Any suggestions?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Are you keeping an eye on her weight daily?

Is she acting abnormal in any other way?

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Are you keeping an eye on her weight daily?

Is she acting abnormal in any other way?

I’m keeping an eye on her weight daily. There is no drop in her weight at all. The only other way she is acting weird is she’s not calling out for me a lot like she had been for the first few days I had her. She did eat a lot of millet today from what I’ve seen. Today she actually ate the most millet out of any of the other days. My guess is she’s between 29-35 days old. She is fully feathered and able to step up a little clumsily because her nails are extra long, they need to be trimmed a tiny bit. She’s been more cuddly too, she wants to perch on my shoulder a lot more now.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
what did the breeder tell you and what did you ask?

wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are thinking about trimming a baby at one month? stop sorry.. hope things work out for you. Its not that simple to type a few words with little back up information. Im sorry.. I get it...... this is the internet. I understand... guess what..! News Flash! pushing a button doesn't do much but type a letter.

Be patient, there likely a lot of people here who know and can help with your specific breed.

Best of Luck! Hang in there, hopefully things will work out

Last edited:
OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
what did the breeder tell you and what did you ask?

wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are thinking about trimming a baby at one month? stop sorry.. hope things work out for you. Its not that simple to type a few words with little back up information. Im sorry.. I get it...... this is the internet. I understand... guess what..! News Flash! pushing a button doesn't do much but type a letter.

Be patient, there likely a lot of people here who know and can help with your specific breed.

Best of Luck! Hang in there, hopefully things will work out

I’m not going to trim her nails now, I’m going to wait till this baby grows up. I never trim their nails at this young. I asked the breeder how old the baby was and how many feedings a day. The breeder said two syringes in the morning and two before bed time. I’ve been following that schedule while providing soak and cook food with seeds and millet. A friend of mine bought this baby from the breeder and then basically threw the baby into my lap, the breeder wouldn’t return the deposit of $300 that my friend payed, the breeder wouldn’t even return $50 of it which is what my friend asked for. So I went over to the breeder’s house to pick up this baby because the breeder just wanted to get rid of it basically and now here I am with a young indian ringneck.

I’ve contacted the breeder but it seems like my number is now blocked by the breeder. My friend said the same thing, her number is blocked as well. I don’t know what I did wrong. All I did was ask the breeder how old this baby was and it always got ignored. All my other questions would be answered except for that one. I’ve been documenting the baby’s progress and her weight is perfect but she’s not enthusiastic to eat now, she just wants to sit there or go and explore. She won’t call out for me either. I told the breeder I had experience hand feeding but thats mostly conures, never an Indian Ringneck and she said, “That’s okay. Here you go.” I took the baby home, no problems or anything until now. I got into contact with my avian vet about it and the vet said that maybe the baby was eating a lot of millet and therefore not as hungry and then asked if there was poop in the cage or whatever I had the baby in and I said yes.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
With a bird that young I cant really offer any solid advice. If I were in your shoes what i would look up is the feeding regimen that is proper for the age and species.

I can tell you what is typical and often overlooked is that if you have a baby, you need to take the role of mommy and daddy bird. Think sensibly. I doubt a month bird is going to eat anything but regurgitated food.

IN MY OPINION you must duplicate what the parents eat, then blend it up, then heat to a PERFECT body temperature measured while in the syringe. As far as I know only a digital infrared thermometer can do this accurately.

You should be able to accomplish the above with what I would expect, would be near perfect results.

HERE... http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

1) TEMPERATURE IS EVERYTHING! Temperature is the most important part of raising a healthy baby parrot; the temperature of the formula and the temperature of the living environment.

-Formula MUST be between 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) and 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 degrees Celsius). Any cooler and not only will your baby likely reject the formula, but his body will be unable to digest it properly leading to malnutrition. In some cases the food, not being digested, can even begin to spoil inside the body and from there you quickly see a spiral into bacterial infections that can kill within a few hours of the first symptoms. If the formula is too hot you risk internal burns.

Last edited:
OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
With a bird that young I cant really offer any solid advice. If I were in your shoes what i would look up is the feeding regimen that is proper for the age and species.

I can tell you what is typical and often overlooked is that if you have a baby, you need to take the role of mommy and daddy bird. Think sensibly. I doubt a month bird is going to eat anything but regurgitated food.

IN MY OPINION you must duplicate what the parents eat, then blend it up, then heat to a PERFECT body temperature measured while in the syringe. As far as I know only a digital infrared thermometer can do this accurately.

You should be able to accomplish the above with what I would expect, would be near perfect results.

HERE... http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

1) TEMPERATURE IS EVERYTHING! Temperature is the most important part of raising a healthy baby parrot; the temperature of the formula and the temperature of the living environment.

-Formula MUST be between 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) and 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 degrees Celsius). Any cooler and not only will your baby likely reject the formula, but his body will be unable to digest it properly leading to malnutrition. In some cases the food, not being digested, can even begin to spoil inside the body and from there you quickly see a spiral into bacterial infections that can kill within a few hours of the first symptoms. If the formula is too hot you risk internal burns.

The formula so far has been heated correctly. I don’t ever microwave it but I use the water heater we have instead. I don’t want cold and hot spots to mess with the formula so definitely no microwave. I use a thermometer with the formula when I prepare it. Thank you for the advice. I’m going to stay up late tonight and do more research and keep and eye on the baby too.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Look I don't want to get angry with you. but I gave you specific instructions and the way you replied thinks you did everything right.

Read my post on temperature.. any thing less than the detail i gave you. you did it wrong.

Did you skip science class?

okooookokkok.. for 60 days i fed my bird with varying amounts of formula. If you do it any other way I listed, you are not likely going to have much of any success in matching the birds temp and the food temp perfectly..

anything else besides perfect procedure....... you might have success, you might not..

all of the above is my opinion. prove me wrong,,,, just dont kill your bird? ok? thanks..

YOU CAN NOT HEAT FORMULA PERFECTLY IN A SYRINGE USING TRADITIONAL METHODS OTHER THAN A WATER BATH. IT WONT HAPPEN

You will have to draw it up warmer than the desired temp, then shake down the temp, while in the syringe.

Last edited:
OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Look I don't want to get angry with you. but I gave you specific instructions and the way you replied thinks you did everything right.

Read my post on temperature.. any thing less than the detail i gave you. you did it wrong.

Did you skip science class?

okooookokkok.. for 60 days i fed my bird with varying amounts of formula. If you do it any other way I listed, you are not likely going to have much of any success in matching the birds temp and the food temp perfectly..

anything else besides perfect procedure....... you might have success, you might not..

all of the above is my opinion. prove me wrong,,,, just dont kill your bird? ok? thanks..

YOU CAN NOT HEAT FORMULA PERFECTLY IN A SYRINGE USING TRADITIONAL METHODS OTHER THAN A WATER BATH. IT WONT HAPPEN

You will have to draw it up warmer than the desired temp, then shake down the temp, while in the syringe.

I’m not saying I’m entirely right, I’m just nervous. I don’t want to make you angry. I really do care for this bird. I have not been heating the formula with a syringe, but I also haven’t been doing it the way you are saying which I will start doing. I was just trying to tell you the temp I had the formula at, I wasn’t saying I was correct and you were wrong. I’m sorry if it seemed that way

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
ok SORRY. I can be both big picture and detailed oriented.

This is a must have. Run out to a local walmart and get one of these.

You will have to draw it into the syringe warmer than the desired temp, then shake down the temp, while in the syringe, keep checking it until you are at the right temp you can take the birds temp right at his ankle, dont let the little laser light hit the bird in the eyes...

61Z2uJIj%2BVL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I will run out to my walmart and get one right away

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
I will run out to my walmart and get one right away

YAY!!! your bird will love you!! mine took to the syringe so well. just go easy in the amount you give him. what you blend up is important. I know they make formulas for parrots. I know nothing about the ring necks diet. That info should be easy to find here or elsewhere.
once you have the daily feeding schedule down, for all I know.. everything else will fall in place.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Ok disco no need to be harsh.

And measuring temp in the bowl is perfectly acceptable, I feel like you are making the temperature more complicated than necessary.

OP, I raise ringnecks. Please read the link Discoduck posted, I wrote it. It’s a good overview. If you are following everything in the link and still having problems, ask one of the admins to help you pm me if you don’t have 20 posts yet, and I’ll give you my phone number and we can trouble shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Ok hold the phone I’m just now reading in more detail, are you suggesting this person needs to go buy a tool to read the surface temp of their bird? Where did you get that idea? That is not necessary at all and probably detrimental since surface temp and internal temp are NOT THE SAME.

Also DO NOT just blend up whatever the parents are eating and feed that, you will end up with major imbalances as 1) baby birds get partially digested food and 2) a breeding diet is not the same as a pet diet.

The hand feeding formula must be between 104 and 110 degrees. If the bird is refusing it at 110 (temp measured in the bowl) then something else is wrong.

And I want to say this to help the OP with his/her choices in which advice to follow, because it’s hard to know who to trust on the internet;

Disco handfed one macaw. Great, so have I. I have also handfed many of Indian Ringnecks, gcc, cockatiels, lovebirds, and other small parrots. It’s what I do. I’m not making stuff up as I go, I’m not relying on one experience alone. I have studied this and practiced this for years. PLEASE feel free to contact me directly; any of the mods can help you get in touch. Baby refusing food is a big deal. You might need to run to the vet, you might just need to tweak one little setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
So I’m going to update this thread. I rushed Blue to the avian certified animal hospital yesterday in pamona california and after oxygen therapy and being put in a brooder at 95 degrees farenheit Blue passed away. Blue was my baby and I tried everything and no one and nothing will ever replace her in my heart.

The vet said that Blue had to be sick for a while since the illness was so advanced. The breeder finally did contact me and said that if I show up on her doorstep she will call the cops on me. This breeder was a liar and just wanted money and ran. Now, after explaining my story to the vet, animal control will be getting involved and my friend who bought Blue is filling a small claim lawsuit.

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your baby bird, you did everything you could.

Please post the breeder's name and location out on FB and tell everyone what you went through. If she has a FB account, write on that and warn people.

Getting the word out on this a$$hole is the best thing you can do.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
So sorry to hear about Blue! That's tough! And sorry to hear the breeder(?) has been unhelpful in this situation. :(

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
I am so very sorry for the loss of your baby bird, you did everything you could.

Please post the breeder's name and location out on FB and tell everyone what you went through. If she has a FB account, write on that and warn people.

Getting the word out on this a$$hole is the best thing you can do.

I didn’t post her name or facebook or anything about the breeder because I was told not to. All I could say was my story. Since this case could potentially go to court I’m just going to stay quiet and pray nobody buys birds from that breeder. I saw some posts from the breeder on hookbills.com but it got taken down and it looks like that breeder won’t be around anymore. My friend was saying that rabbits were bred very close to the bird cages and the vet mentioned that maybe Blue had eaten a piece of rabbit poop or something else.

OP
Jferrand526

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
So sorry to hear about Blue! That's tough! And sorry to hear the breeder(?) has been unhelpful in this situation. :(

Yeah it was tough and thank you for your condolences. Its just so much heartbreak because I had so many dreams for Blue, I was thinking of getting her harnessed trained and cuddling her and just having her with me as I grew up and now I’m in denial that she is gone. My heart just hurts.

My boyfriend is just as heartbroken, he went into tears the minute they opened the door for us to see Blue one last time. He didn’t even want to leave her, on the drive home it was just quiet. Its never really been like that on car trips, usually music is blasting and we are laughing but yesterday we were just trying to get over it and today I woke up telling my boyfriend that I was late to feed Blue and then it hit me that she wasnt here anymore. Its just hard because she was so young and I had so many plans for her and I and I really do miss her. The vet was even in tears and all around it was hard. The vet and the vet techs and everyone in that place was in tears because they were all praying Blue would make it and was just a really hard experience. My boyfriend says he would love a ringneck but he never wants one that looked like Blue because he is afraid he’ll just go back to being broken hearted. I think right now him and I just need some time to grieve, maybe next week when we get the urn with Blue’s ashes there will be some closure, or maybe seeing the breeder get charged with animal cruelty will bring us some happiness.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
so sorry to hear. The less words said about that piece of subhuman garbage the better, though 'turning up on the doorstep' would be the least of their worries if I were in your shoes.

Definitely do all you can to prosecute them to the highest extent possible. Argue that what they do is animal abuse and mis-selling of goods (if not appealing to people's love of animals appeal to the monetary loss)

Most Reactions