Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I've been thinking of posting this for a while but I either was too busy or I was just too shy.
This post is just some friendly questions I have about mods, what it's like to be one etc, as we all do forget once in a while that they are human beings;)
Enough talking, I'll get straight in the questions:

1. Who are/were all the mods in the history of PF?
2. What are some privileges of being a mod?
3. What are the downsides?

(some other similar questions)
4. Who made ParrotForums?
5. Who was the first person to join PF?
6. What did PF look like back then?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With good reason, the Mod's will likely be a bit slow in responding as there are a ton of off-Board activities that are required to keep this Forum current and safe, from New Member Checks to keeping tract of problematic Threads, the verification of and elimination of Spammers, and working with members that push the edges.

It is a busy, demanding position that requires developing a knowledge of the workings of the Forum Technologies as it is very possible to cause the loss of a Thread or a Post. with the simple touching of a wrong key.

You may want to limit your list to those things that you really need an answer to as your current list would requirer several hours to provide an answer.

To become a Mod, commonly requires that you have been around long enough to develop a positive, supporting, and knowledgeable reputation. The precise list is much longer.

Cheers!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
With good reason, the Mod's will likely be a bit slow in responding as there are a ton of off-Board activities that are required to keep this Forum current and safe, from New Member Checks to keeping tract of problematic Threads, the verification of and elimination of Spammers, and working with members that push the edges.

It is a busy, demanding position that requires developing a knowledge of the workings of the Forum Technologies as it is very possible to cause the loss of a Thread or a Post. with the simple touching of a wrong key.

You may want to limit your list of to those things that you really need an answer to as your current list would requirer several hours to provide an answer.

To become a Mod, commonly requires that you have been around long enough to develop a positive, supporting, and knowledgeable reputation. The precise list is much longer.

Cheers!
ok, thanks. The questions aren't really important so if they don't reply immediately(or at all) it's not an issue.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just saw this, great questions!!!

It will take me some time to answer all of them, but I love looking at the history of PF so it will be fun:)

I can answer a few now before looking the others up.

I'll have to look this one up.

2. What kind of stuff do you mods have to do? What are the tasks you have to do daily?

Mods check all new members to try to keep out spammers. We keep an eye on the forum to make sure things are staying civil, and jump in with a course correction or edits/deletions when required.
We look at all reported posts and discuss in the Mod Forum what, if any action should be taken. If required, we take action and let both the person who reported know as well as the person whose post was reported. If no action is taken, we let the person who reported know with our reasons.
We move and/or merge threads when needed.
We remove all personal identification such as email or phone numbers from every forum except Lost & Found.
We make sure current members who have their birthday listed get a birthday thread.
We work on things as a team that we think will make the forum a better place.
This is the majority of what we do, but there are always different situations that come up that need to be handled.

3. What are some privilages of being a mod?

The tangible privileges are extra storage space for pictures and PMs. I don't think anyone has ever become a Mod for that, though.
The Mod forum is a privilege, it is our private place where we can discuss anything that is going on.
To me, the biggest privilege of being a Mod is that we get to help more birds and their parronts by keeping this a welcoming place to ask questions.
I also consider it a privilege to have worked with all the wonderful Mods I have over the years, and made friendships that will last a lifetime.

4. What are the downsides?

To me the biggest downside is having to be the bad guy at times.
Receiving PMs that are nasty because of a decision that was made is also a downside. Nothing worse than coming onto the forum, excited to see what's going on, and find something awful in your inbox. (Although that is better than finding it on the open forum.)
We also put in a lot of hours here. Some are fun hours, others not so much fun.
We try to be everywhere, but we will miss things. That's why all of your reports are helpful.

5. How do you become a mod? Who decides who gets to be one?

The Mod team has a discussion in the Mod forum, and names are brought up of people we think would make a good Mod. We vote on it, and if the vote is unanimous we then reach out to that person and ask them if they would like to join the team. We then ask our Admin who makes it happen.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Pipp, please feel free to add back in your questions you had. It may take me a bit, but I'll be happy to answer them:)

I thought I remembered one being the first post on PF.
I believe it would have been this one.

Welcome to the New Parrot Forums!!!

ParrotForums is owned by Forum Foundry, who also run many other forums.

I would guess that the first members were our Admin team.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Pipp, please feel free to add back in your questions you had. It may take me a bit, but I'll be happy to answer them:)

On the home page, it says the forums were first launched in January 2005.
This thread was posted in June.
Not saying it can't be the first, just making a statement I guess...?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
On the home page, it says the forums were first launched in January 2005.
This thread was posted in June.
Not saying it can't be the first, just making a statement I guess...?
I have no idea if it took them some time to get the site set up, I wasn't around back then. That's why I said "I believe this is" rather than "This is".

Feel free to help if you like, and see if you can find an earlier one. That would be awesome.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

Wow, that is so cool!

The other questions were:

what was the first thread?
Who decides who gets to be a mod?
(you already answered those two)

and I forgot the last one :(

Edit: Oh, it was "what kind of stuff do mods need to do daily?". I think that one has been answered

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I just saw this, great questions!!!

It will take me some time to answer all of them, but I love looking at the history of PF so it will be fun:)

I can answer a few now before looking the others up.

I'll have to look this one up.

2. What kind of stuff do you mods have to do? What are the tasks you have to do daily?

Mods check all new members to try to keep out spammers. We keep an eye on the forum to make sure things are staying civil, and jump in with a course correction or edits/deletions when required.
We look at all reported posts and discuss in the Mod Forum what, if any action should be taken. If required, we take action and let both the person who reported know as well as the person whose post was reported. If no action is taken, we let the person who reported know with our reasons.
We move and/or merge threads when needed.
We remove all personal identification such as email or phone numbers from every forum except Lost & Found.
We make sure current members who have their birthday listed get a birthday thread.
We work on things as a team that we think will make the forum a better place.
This is the majority of what we do, but there are always different situations that come up that need to be handled.

3. What are some privilages of being a mod?

The tangible privileges are extra storage space for pictures and PMs. I don't think anyone has ever become a Mod for that, though.
The Mod forum is a privilege, it is our private place where we can discuss anything that is going on.
To me, the biggest privilege of being a Mod is that we get to help more birds and their parronts by keeping this a welcoming place to ask questions.
I also consider it a privilege to have worked with all the wonderful Mods I have over the years, and made friendships that will last a lifetime.

4. What are the downsides?

To me the biggest downside is having to be the bad guy at times.
Receiving PMs that are nasty because of a decision that was made is also a downside. Nothing worse than coming onto the forum, excited to see what's going on, and find something awful in your inbox. (Although that is better than finding it on the open forum.)
We also put in a lot of hours here. Some are fun hours, others not so much fun.
We try to be everywhere, but we will miss things. That's why all of your reports are helpful.

5. How do you become a mod? Who decides who gets to be one?

The Mod team has a discussion in the Mod forum, and names are brought up of people we think would make a good Mod. We vote on it, and if the vote is unanimous we then reach out to that person and ask them if they would like to join the team. We then ask our Admin who makes it happen.

You mods should have your own PO box so I can send you some well deserved cookies!!! The job you peeps have is a very difficult one, but yet you're doing an awesome job!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
You mods should have your own PO box so I can send you some well deserved cookies!!! The job you peeps have is a very difficult one, but yet you're doing an awesome job!
You are so sweet! Just reading what you wrote will last longer than cookies, and we all appreciate it so much:)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
You are so sweet! Just reading what you wrote will last longer than cookies, and we all appreciate it so much:)
Yeah, but SERIOUSLY YOU MODS SHOULD HAVE YOUR OWN PO BOX!
So we can all send you cookies, waay too many cookies, too many cookies for anyone to eat, and all of you would get tired of cookies, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Please. I want to send you cookies RIGHT NOW.
You guys are the best, have all the cookies you could ever want.
I will now proceed to shut up. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Yeah, but SERIOUSLY YOU MODS SHOULD HAVE YOUR OWN PO BOX!
So we can all send you cookies, waay too many cookies, too many cookies for anyone to eat, and all of you would get tired of cookies, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Please. I want to send you cookies RIGHT NOW.
You guys are the best, have all the cookies you could ever want.
I will now proceed to shut up. Thanks for reading.
I would love to have so many cookies that I would get sick of them!
It's the thought that counts is so true, and we are appreciating the love:)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I would love to have so many cookies that I would get sick of them!
It's the thought that counts is so true, and we are appreciating the love:)
Here you go. All for Terry. More for the other mods are on their way!
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites - Cooking Classy

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Here you go. All for Terry. More for the other mods are on their way!
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites - Cooking Classy
Oh yay!!! My favourite kind! Thank you!
I better eat them all before Jon gets here, that man is fast on the cookies:)

Most Reactions