Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So I had been feeding my birds Caitec pellets without noticing that the was Menadione Sodium Bisulfate complex(vitamin K) in it. I switched to the Birdtricks pellets because the synthetic vitamin k is banned in human foods for being toxic but it's unregulated in animal feed products. Well, my pellets just arrived and my birds love them, but I thought, hmm, these look just like TOPs pellets, so I went to their website and both ingredients lists are identical! There's no difference at all! Birdtricks charges $30 plus shipping for 4lb. and TOPs charges $13 for 3lb. or even better $37 for 10lb! How can she run this scam so effectively and no one even see it? I feel I've been cheated :cry:

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Supposedly, BT has a "special" formulation, according to BT. I wouldn't quite go as far as saying it is a scam, but it seems to be their business model includes rebranding food and repackaging toys for profit. You won't see them participating on bird forums where their business practices will be scrutinized.

I got burned buying one of their bird toy package deals that was "on sale". When I received it I realized it was all just name-brand toys with the tags removed that I could have purchased elsewhere for 30% less.

I guess the lesson is "do you homework" no matter who you buy from.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Supposedly, BT has a "special" formulation, according to BT. I wouldn't quite go as far as saying it is a scam, but it seems to be their business model includes rebranding food and repackaging toys for profit. You won't see them participating on bird forums where their business practices will be scrutinized.

I got burned buying one of their bird toy package deals that was "on sale". When I received it I realized it was all just name-brand toys with the tags removed that I could have purchased elsewhere for 30% less.

I know right! I should have noticed 😞

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I like supporting bird tricks, they provide so many free tips, free behavior and training videos, I think some free chop recipes ect. They help a lot of birds, and still need to earn an income.
Tops is a great pellet.
I know, I love their channel and have watched their vids for a long time, its just, there reselling the same product with their brand on it and calling it there own.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Bird tricks does have some very educational videos on youtube. They are awesome with behavioral tips, and tricks. Because of them I was able to flight train my conure. I will say I always shop for whats on sale for toys. My birds think that alfalfa is something to shred/a toy so I stopped using anything made up of alfalfa. I would have never caught the ingredients being the same. Are they both cold pressed? I am not sure what cold pressed consists of, and if there are more benefits in doing that.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Bird tricks does have some very educational videos on youtube. They are awesome with behavioral tips, and tricks. Because of them I was able to flight train my conure. I will say I always shop for whats on sale for toys. My birds think that alfalfa is something to shred/a toy so I stopped using anything made up of alfalfa. I would have never caught the ingredients being the same. Are they both cold pressed? I am not sure what cold pressed consists of, and if there are more benefits in doing that.
Yes they're both cold pressed and, I believe, made from the same manufacturer in Oregon

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would pay $13 for 3lb in TX. I know, I have watched BT vids for over a year now and learned how to train my birds more effectively from her, I love her channel, which is why I'm so conflicted 😅

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I, also, wouldn’t say scam!
Even TOPS, when I’m in CO, I pay 13$ a bag! Over in Clearwater,FL, at a discount flea market, I pay, 34$!
From TOPS, $41 for a two bag shipment!
Maybe scam is the wrong word, but for two bags from birdtricks I payed $75, but from TOPs I can get 10lb for a little over half of that

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yall pay for tops shipping? if I pay for the 2 bag packs it gives me free shipping in colorado

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
yall pay for tops shipping? if I pay for the 2 bag packs it gives me free shipping in colorado
Yeah, even from the TOPs website I think they charge shipping in Texas, I'll have to check when I order it...

LEdward

May 4, 2021
Media

If you look at the ingredients of the BT pellets and the Tops pellets, they are identical, right down to the punctuation!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
If you look at the ingredients of the BT pellets and the Tops pellets, they are identical, right down to the punctuation!
I know! It's crazy that no one seems to notice

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Facts are facts. If thats their business model and people pay the price, I guess it works.
For me, I shop around. One trick I use, a desktop magnetic dart board i found on online for $2.00 - two dollars. The same exact trick is on PT for almost $20. A gram scale w/T stand I found for $29 is $99 on their site. Let the buyer beware.

Most Reactions

Latest posts