something is wrong with my bird. [emergency]

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
I have one green cheeked conure, and her name is Yuko! She is about 7 - 8 years of age!
hey everybody. my green cheeked conure has been fine, but today i noticed she was acting weird. she usually doesn't like to be picked up but today she was letting me do it as much as i want. she couldn't hold on to the fabric of my clothes like usually or even stay on my head or shoulder correctly because he kept slipping and losing her balance. one of her eyes is closed but it doesn't look swollen or anything. her feet are also kind of limp? she sort of feels lighter but i'm not sure. i'll attach a picture here. thank you for any help.
0.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello yuko, I'm very sorry to hear that your little one is experiencing these worrying symptoms!

Unfortunately I am not in a position to be able to determine what might be wrong with Yuko, but the signs you have described would be sufficiently concerning to me to be contacting an avian vet if I saw them in any of mine. The link below may assist you in finding one in your location if you are not already familiar with one....

Thank you for reaching out for help, and I very much hope little Yuko will be ok!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hi Yuko. I'm afraid your thread title is quite accurate. Emergency. If there's any way for you to contact an avian vet, please do, and don't wait. As prey animals, parrots will hide illness until they can't any longer. By the time you see symptoms, they are very sick. Until you can reach a vet, do what you can to support her. Supplemental feeding- baby bird formula is great, but whatever you can do to get some calories into her, and hopefully keep her hydrated. Make sure to keep her warm. Maintaining body temperature takes lots of energy that she can't afford to spare right now.

Please keep us posted. Prayers for quick recovery heading your way!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a critical situation. They hide being sick until they can't. By this point they have been sick fir a while and things are life threatening.

Keep things calm. Keep them in the cage until you can get to a vet, today or tomorrow morning tell them it's an emergency.

Extra warmth is critical, you can drape the cage on one side put a heating pad on the outside with another towel on top. Safety and careful of fire hazard. Offer millit spray , every food and treat they like. A little peanut butter, apple, anything safe they want to eat offer.
Baby bird formula make it very warm and a little tiny but thicker like smooth oatmeal or yogurt constancy. Use 1 ml syringe and offer a drop st time at front of beak or on finger tip. Do not force it. 1-2ml at a feeding is enough. If takes can offer every two hours during their normal awake time. Do not keep up to feed they need sleep and conserve calories.

When you take to vet keep calm, keep bird calm and warm.

Yiu are going to have to fight to save them. And you are going to need an avian
n vet to save them. Now is best. First thing in morning next best.

I've been able to save 2 that were this bad. But it took immediate vet med. Keeping them warm, and supporting feeding.

All my prayers with you both. I will look fir my sick burd links.

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
I have one green cheeked conure, and her name is Yuko! She is about 7 - 8 years of age!
@Laurasea , @saxguy64 , @LaManuka
thanks for your help. my dad refuses to take my bird to the vet to get help. he doesn't want to pay money for something that is "my fault" (he thinks i poisoned my bird). he says he instead will let her die. this morning she's been eating papaya and lots of water and pooping alot. she still seems weak but hopefully she can recover. thank you for your help, any more tips would be appreciated. i can't take the bird to the vet myself because i'm 15 and cannot drive, so that's not an option.

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
thanks for your help. my dad refuses to take my bird to the vet to get help. he doesn't want to pay money for something that is "my fault" (he thinks i poisoned my bird). he says he instead will let her die. this morning she's been eating papaya and lots of water and pooping alot. she still seems weak but hopefully she can recover. thank you for your help, any more tips would be appreciated. i can't take the bird to the vet myself because i'm 15 and cannot drive, so that's not an option.
I would suggest fresh vegetables, preferable organic. And keep her away from any household products that might have chemicals. I would suggest adding a bit of organic black cumin seeds to their food as it is amazing for health. My dad doesn’t let me bring my birds to the vet either, so instead I try to feed them lots of veggies. Carrots are especially good for clearing out toxins and broccoli is good for overall health. My budgies also love spinach. If it’s not organic, wash them VERY well to get rid of any pesticides. Bringing your bird out on the balcony or porch might also be good.

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Oh! Don’t forget cuttle bones and mineral blocks, they are absolutely essential. Try to avoid treat sticks, especially honey or fruit flavored, as they are high in sugar. Fruits are usually good but try to avoid too much. Some mineral blocks have unhealthy additives, so I’d suggest natural cuttle bones. It might be a foot problem. Do you use smooth perches? They will trash your birds feet, try to use mostly natural wood. Smooth toys and okay but they should have a variety of options… Your bird also might be lonely? Do you have any other birds?

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
Hey everybody, writing this from my moms phone. Yuko is on her way to the bird hospital because she passed out and fell to the bottom of her cage. The nearest one is over an hour away so please keep Yuko in your prayers as we are on our way to help him. He keeps passing out. Thanks you everybody for all your support.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry things have gotten worse. Thank goodness you're heading for the vet. Sending prayers and healing vibes for sweet little Yuko.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Prayers with you. Oh please don't let it be to late. I'm so worried. You nursing skills if warmth and support will be valuable. Try and buy baby bird formula, to use to help him recover. Its easy to digest is complete nutrition is often taken when all other food is rejected when they are sick.

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
So after going to the hospital they said that he is under respiratory distress. We were unable to find the causes but they gave us a few things that it might be. We got him to a different hospital that specializes in avians and are awaiting news. Thanks for the support.

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

So after going to the hospital they said that he is under respiratory distress. We were unable to find the causes but they gave us a few things that it might be. We got him to a different hospital that specializes in avians and are awaiting news. Thanks for the support.
I hope he heals well!

OP
yuko

yuko

Jun 18, 2018
US
Parrots
update! parents didn’t allow any sort of xray blood work or diagnostic, but he is now home and we are feeding him antibiotics. he can stand up but is still very weak and has been sleeping. my brother accidentally broke his water feeder so i’m on my way to buy a new one right now. here’s a picture of him at the vet (1) and on the way home (2)
971AAE95-7F33-48D0-B04E-89F9643EBBF3.jpeg
9E93DE49-605B-49AD-8C79-B4C4F32A5125.jpeg
although it’s not much he seems to be improving and i think that he will make it :) i was bawling my eyes out yesterday when they said he could pass at any moment, and couldn’t even breathe on his own. we don’t know what the cause was but hopefully the medicine will help!the antibiotics are for 14 days :) i can tell he’s more energetic because he tried to nibble/bite me when i went to grab him. he doesn’t like being grabbed and while he was sick we could pick him up and random people could handle him and he didn’t even care, so i’m glad about that. he is still fluffed up in the covered half of his cage and sitting next to a toy

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Let us hope the antibiotics are properly targeted for whatever is causing Yuko's illness. Receiving entire dosage critical, please let us know if you have difficulty administering. Plenty of techniques to conceal meds and help ensure delivery!!

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
I don’t know if this will help or not, but I read a lot about the air purifier. It helps keeping the air clean for birds as their respiratory system is sensitive. If you can use one in the room that Yuko is spending his time in, perhaps it’ll help?

Most Reactions