Something might be wrong with my Quaker parrot

Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
My parrot was doing find this past week up until today, my mom told me she saw my parrot in his water bowl slouching down and looked as if he were dead according to her, and usually when my mom would put one of her fingers in his cage he would charge at her but this time he didn’t. He seemed to be tired, I took him out of his cage and tried to see what was going to but it didn’t appear like anything was wrong, me and my parrot have this flock call we do together, I whistled and he didn’t do the same call back, this was the first time he had done that. It’s weird because he always calls back to me. I then took him onto my bed so that he can spend some time with me, a few minutes later he vomited clear slimy liquid and there were white chucks in there as well, he wasn’t regurgitating since I’ve seen him do it a lot of times. This time was different, I’m certain he threw up, I told my mom what happened and I also said that if we don’t get the care he needs he will get even more sick and possibly die, unfortunately my mom does not want to take him to the vet, according to her she does not want to spend around $300 for the vet. Is there anything I can do?? I don’t want to lose him I’ve had him ever since he was a baby and I’ve grown attached. I don’t want to replace him.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My parrot was doing find this past week up until today, my mom told me she saw my parrot in his water bowl slouching down and looked as if he were dead according to her, and usually when my mom would put one of her fingers in his cage he would charge at her but this time he didn’t. He seemed to be tired, I took him out of his cage and tried to see what was going to but it didn’t appear like anything was wrong, me and my parrot have this flock call we do together, I whistled and he didn’t do the same call back, this was the first time he had done that. It’s weird because he always calls back to me. I then took him onto my bed so that he can spend some time with me, a few minutes later he vomited clear slimy liquid and there were white chucks in there as well, he wasn’t regurgitating since I’ve seen him do it a lot of times. This time was different, I’m certain he threw up, I told my mom what happened and I also said that if we don’t get the care he needs he will get even more sick and possibly die, unfortunately my mom does not want to take him to the vet, according to her she does not want to spend around $300 for the vet. Is there anything I can do?? I don’t want to lose him I’ve had him ever since he was a baby and I’ve grown attached. I don’t want to replace him.
Call the vet and ask how much it costs for a sick bird exam costs not including lab tests. It may be less than you think. Promise your mom you'll do lots of extra chores, yardwork or anything else that appeals to her. Promise you'll do things for others like babysit, yardwork etc to earn money to pay her back. Make sure you fulfill your pro9
Explain to her how much a "replacement" parrot will cost.
Crying a lot while begging may help. Good luck!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree, maybe the exam won't cost as much as she thinks.

I'm sorry, that sounds really worrisome and I can imagine how scary it is to see him like that.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Please show this to your Mom.

By the time parrots are showing outward signs of illness, they are already VERY sick birds. Parrots, being prey animals, hide any signs of illness, because in the wild, the ones who look sick or act differently then the rest of the flock are the ones who get picked off by predators.

A parrot that is vomiting and acting lethargic is a very sick parrot and needs to see a Certified Avian Vet ASAP.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I agree, maybe the exam won't cost as much as she thinks.

I'm sorry, that sounds really worrisome and I can imagine how scary it is to see him like that.
I wish I lived nearby because I would take them and help pay for it myself. I wish us grownups on this forum could set up a fund for minors to help pay for vet visits for them.

OP
EngineerGaming
Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
Call the vet and ask how much it costs for a sick bird exam costs not including lab tests. It may be less than you think. Promise your mom you'll do lots of extra chores, yardwork or anything else that appeals to her. Promise you'll do things for others like babysit, yardwork etc to earn money to pay her back. Make sure you fulfill your pro9
Explain to her how much a "replacement" parrot will cost.
Crying a lot while begging may help. Good luck!
Thank you, I’ll see what I can do.

OP
EngineerGaming
Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
@EngineerGaming , how is your boy doing?
He’s doing a bit better, he’s acting a lot different now. He’s more quite and doesn’t fly the way he used to before, I’m not sure what caused this but we got him new food and ever since he ate that food he started acting different, I always give him vegetables and fruits but he doesn’t seem to be eating them. I think it’s the food that causing this problem, If not then I’m not sure.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He’s doing a bit better, he’s acting a lot different now. He’s more quite and doesn’t fly the way he used to before, I’m not sure what caused this but we got him new food and ever since he ate that food he started acting different, I always give him vegetables and fruits but he doesn’t seem to be eating them. I think it’s the food that causing this problem, If not then I’m not sure.
A sudden change in food can cause issues, but I haven't ever heard of it causing these kind of changes. I'm glad to hear that he's doing better, hopefully that will continue.

Most Reactions