Sonny growing a yellow feather!!

Nov 17, 2017
Ulmarra NSW Aust
Parrots
2 Rainbow Loris.
Molly and Bosley. They both left home and have partners now. Come back to feed sometimes. Just have Sonny an Ecky... more than enough
Just wondering whether this is common with eckies, he's 4 years old now and flies outside quite often. Hangs out with rainbow lorries. Any info appreciated. John
20220313_121013.jpg

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I heard it could be due to a nutritional deficiency. Remember that a varied diet is crucial for any parrot and yes it even shows in their plumage. It could also merely be something related to genetics but you can always meet with a CAV to further discuss these potential issues and any nutritional gaps if present.
Hopefully some ekkie owners will jump in.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've read the same, nutrition lack of or over supplement. Or liver. And same as random.

You've done a great job , as I only see mild over preening/barbering.

We have super great ekkie owners so they will find and add their expertise.

Diet is so important with these. I used to have some links but I don't think i still do.
I feel like they need vitamin A rich foods like cooked sweet potatoes. But no supplements....
Ok still had

And as I have heard they are more cold sensitive as a species. You might use a radiant heat source. I use the sweeter heater as found on Amazon the smallest size is more than enough and I put on a stand and set back from the cage. The same site as above link talks about changing diet in winter. Here in Florida we just want from 80 to Down to the teens tonight! I have my radiant heater on my flock and served a warm bed time meal of cooked sweet potatoes myself..I have quakers. I also fed my old girl baby bird formula as she is sensitive to cold weather ( not that I think that would be recommended for you) but just to emphasize cold weather does effect our parrots some more than others.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I also found a yellow feather on my conure's nape recently, and according to my vet, time to panic is if i find more than one. As others stated, could be due to some nutritional deficiencies, liver issues or a single mutated feather. Keep an eye on the fella, if you do find more, time to go to the vet for a thorough checkup!

OP
picklesandjesse
Nov 17, 2017
Ulmarra NSW Aust
Parrots
2 Rainbow Loris.
Molly and Bosley. They both left home and have partners now. Come back to feed sometimes. Just have Sonny an Ecky... more than enough
Thanks for all the info. His diet is very varied but he does like nuts and I give him 2 or 3 cashews when he comes home from his adventures outside. Think I'll just give him 1 from now on and see what eventuates. No avion vets near us in this part of Australia, nearest is a 2 hour drive away but I'll take him if another feather appears. This is his house. He has no cage.
20210225_092348.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts