Sore foot? Please help

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
My bird recently wants to stand on one leg , she does just stands on the left so i think she got injured. i might think she got it hurt. She eats and preens like normal. She fighted with her sister all the time. I dont know what do do becuase they keep fight everyday. So now my little babys foot is hurt :( do you have any experiences with this? 😭

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is she using it at all? Parrots spend a good deal of time standing on one foot usually, but alternate. Salty usually stands on his right foot and he is left handed.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Is she using it at all? Parrots spend a good deal of time standing on one foot usually, but alternate. Salty usually stands on his right foot and he is left handed.
She is acting normal but when she is stands on a Perch she has her one foot up. She ate some kale while her foot was up. I hope it is just a slight injury that takes to heal soon . Her sister pushed her down on the cage today and flew up fast, so maybe her feet to a grip too hard? I dont really know

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My bird recently wants to stand on one leg , she does just stands on the left so i think she got injured. i might think she got it hurt. She eats and preens like normal. She fighted with her sister all the time. I dont know what do do becuase they keep fight everyday. So now my little babys foot is hurt :( do you have any experiences with this? 😭
You need to separate the sisters! Female birds can be very territorial and frequently fight with other females and seriously injure them and cause extreme emotional distress. Think of it this way- in the wild, if two birds dont get along one. As custodians

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You need to separate the sisters! Female birds can be very territorial and frequently fight with other females and seriously injure them and cause extreme emotional distress. Think of it this way- in the wild, if two birds dont get along one. As custodians
Oops! If two birds fight in the wild, one will eventually fly away to avoid injury. In captivity, especially in a relatively small cage, the loser in the battle CANNOT get away! As our birds' custodians, we MUST save the "loser" from distress and split them up.
After you split up the sisters,

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Oops! If two birds fight in the wild, one will eventually fly away to avoid injury. In captivity, especially in a relatively small cage, the loser in the battle CANNOT get away! As our birds' custodians, we MUST save the "loser" from distress and split them up.
After you split up the sisters,
After you split up the sisters, bring the injured girl to the vet but don't worry- even if it's a fracture, birds can recover very well from leg fractures. One of my budgies fell two feet off her perch and couldn't walk on her right leg. The vet did an x-ray and she had fractured her right femur, the largest bone in her body (she has bad osteoporosis). Since this large bone is mostly inside her pelvis he couldn't splint it- I just had to keep her comfortable and safe while it hopefully healed. I padded the floor of her cage and put all her perches less than six inches high. Today, three months later, she appears to have healed, at least enough to allow her to use her leg without pain. Sorry for the long solit up response. My budgie keeps pecking at the screen and messing up my message! Good luck and best wishes!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Yes
After you split up the sisters, bring the injured girl to the vet but don't worry- even if it's a fracture, birds can recover very well from leg fractures. One of my budgies fell two feet off her perch and couldn't walk on her right leg. The vet did an x-ray and she had fractured her right femur, the largest bone in her body (she has bad osteoporosis). Since this large bone is mostly inside her pelvis he couldn't splint it- I just had to keep her comfortable and safe while it hopefully healed. I padded the floor of her cage and put all her perches less than six inches high. Today, three months later, she appears to have healed, at least enough to allow her to use her leg without pain. Sorry for the long solit up response. My budgie keeps pecking at the screen and messing up my message! Good luck and best wishes!
Thankyou, she is beak grinding on one foot right now, my parents wont take her to a vet becuase its is expensive, i really wish that i could take her but what can i do at home to make her foot feel better?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
After you split up the sisters, bring the injured girl to the vet but don't worry- even if it's a fracture, birds can recover very well from leg fractures. One of my budgies fell two feet off her perch and couldn't walk on her right leg. The vet did an x-ray and she had fractured her right femur, the largest bone in her body (she has bad osteoporosis). Since this large bone is mostly inside her pelvis he couldn't splint it- I just had to keep her comfortable and safe while it hopefully healed. I padded the floor of her cage and put all her perches less than six inches high. Today, three months later, she appears to have healed, at least enough to allow her to use her leg without pain. Sorry for the long solit up response. My budgie keeps pecking at the screen and messing up my message! Good luck and
How long can it take for the leg to heal of it got injured, or could she be cold?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
image.jpg
This is the foot she has problems with, so when she preens and do other stuff she uses bott legs but when she stands still she tucks it up.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes

Thankyou, she is beak grinding on one foot right now, my parents wont take her to a vet becuase its is expensive, i really wish that i could take her but what can i do at home to make her foot feel better?
It would only cost about $100 (est. US cost) for a simple exam to help your injured bird. Call an avian vet and ask for an estimate with and without an x-ray). Surely they must know that your bird is valuable. Couldn't you promise to do extra chores to work off the cost?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
It would only cost about $100 (est. US cost) for a simple exam to help your injured bird. Call an avian vet and ask for an estimate with and without an x-ray). Surely they must know that your bird is valuable. Couldn't you promise to do extra chores to work off the cost?
I will call an online vet now, i will try to talk to my parents as soon as they are home! Cuase i dont want her to be in pain too long!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I will call an online vet now, i will try to talk to my parents as soon as they are home! Cuase i dont want her to be in pain too long!
If the leg is injured it should heal quickly (a week or two) as long as she's not still stressed by any cagemates.
I think the biggest concern is infection if there is even any tiny open wound you can't see. Vet could give her antibiotics.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
If the leg is injured it should heal quickly (a week or two) as long as she's not still stressed by any cagemates.
I think the biggest concern is infection if there is even any tiny open wound you can't see. Vet could give her antibiotics.
I dont se any wounds so i hope she will be fine, i made the heatlamp closer to her favorite Perch!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I dont se any wounds so i hope she will be fine, i made the heatlamp closer to her favorite Perch!
Watch for redness or other discoloration and swelling because these are signs of infection even if there's no visible wound. When a bird is acting aggressively it often bites the other's feet. Lots of pet birds lose toes from fighting with cagemates.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
About infection i will look closer to that, rignt now i dont see that she is stressed, she keeps wagging her tail and wants to play. It is hard to determide she is in pain , but i will call an online vet when my parents are home! Infection can be serious, this is her foot now
149863AE-5CA2-4041-AA25-97CD1404FF03.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
About infection i will look closer to that, rignt now i dont see that she is stressed, she keeps wagging her tail and wants to play. It is hard to determide she is in pain , but i will call an online vet when my parents are home! Infection can be serious, this is her foot nowView attachment 47614
By "stressed" I mean stressed by having to share a cage with4 p

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Stressed by living with a cagemate that fights and having no escape.
Ohh No she she is not stressed with her sister, she wants to snuggle with her sister so i dont think she is uncomfortable around her!

Most Reactions

Latest posts