Sorry for another question... we've just come back from the vet...

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
We just had a vet visit.
I thought best to check on him over preening.
I'm in Australia so the meds maybe have different names..?
So he's moulting. It's cold here and he's dropping feathers 😐
They did a crop and faecal wash.
Found bacterial infection in crop and yeast in his poop.
Have meds to give for 10 days.
Enrotril oral and Fungilin drops.
What I'm wondering is how long could he have had this. And if it's something I've done.
Fed him something he shouldn't... ?
I should have asked but I had so many questions and forgot.
I am very careful what he eats and what he chews.
I've had him 6 months.
Could he have had these before he came to me?
Not sure if any of you had this experience and might share some insight please ..
At least it gives me an idea of why he's unhappy ...
Thanks

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-)
RIP Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I'm so sorry your feathered friend is going through this. Some birds can be more prone than others to bacterial issues and yeast. If you are worried it's something in his environment, can you call the vet and ask? I do it to mine all the time (I get, "Oh, you're Kirby's owner!" now, which... can't tell if good or bad, lol) and they've always been able to give me great guidance.

I know our big guy is prone to bacterial problems so we screen him for them more often. It may not be your fault at all. The best thing to do is to make sure his cage and play areas are very clean; it will reduce bacterial load and help him recover more quickly.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
I'm so sorry your feathered friend is going through this. Some birds can be more prone than others to bacterial issues and yeast. If you are worried it's something in his environment, can you call the vet and ask? I do it to mine all the time (I get, "Oh, you're Kirby's owner!" now, which... can't tell if good or bad, lol) and they've always been able to give me great guidance.

I know our big guy is prone to bacterial problems so we screen him for them more often. It may not be your fault at all. The best thing to do is to make sure his cage and play areas are very clean; it will reduce bacterial load and help him recover more quickly.
I started to wonder if I'm cleaning it all too much ....
He hasn't shown classic signs from what I've read.
He's basically cranky. The vet said the moult he's going through would not be helping.
I do have birds that go to the bird bath outside. But I'm really careful not to let any of the water on me ...
And I don't put him out there.
He gets veggies .. some berries .. pellets and a tropical bird mix. And I do let him have some of my potato or veggies or a tiny bit of toast.
She thought the diet was fine. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
What symptoms does your bird show if he gets an infection? Is it obvious....

ravvlet

Staff member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-)
RIP Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
It depends. His poop gets really smelly and he gets quieter if it's something with his digestive track or otherwise internal. If it's an infection in his nares, he has colored discharge, and I can hear either whistling from his nostrils or he is breathing entirely through his beak as his nares are fully clogged.

Broccoli can ALSO sometimes result in smelly poop, so that can confuse things. If he's playing with his toys and seems happy, and his stool is well formed, I don't worry too much if I can occasionally smell his droppings & I know he's eating broccoli, lol.

Mostly, if he stops playing with his toys, is sleeping a lot, or seems quieter and more unsteady than usual, we assume something is going on and investigate. He gets his blood drawn and a culture for his nares & fecal done every year even if we don't think anything is going on - well, it's more like every six months for him. However, he is a bit older (we were told he's in his 30s but his vet & another experienced parrot handler both said he looks older than that) and he has a few pre-existing health issues that make him prone to infections.

Sometimes it can be genetic. Before he passed, it seemed like every time we had bloodwork done on our cockatiel something was off - and it was never the same thing either, heh. He was also very, very small for a tiel and had to be given baby bird formula as a supplement for a long time just to get his weight up.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
It depends. His poop gets really smelly and he gets quieter if it's something with his digestive track or otherwise internal. If it's an infection in his nares, he has colored discharge, and I can hear either whistling from his nostrils or he is breathing entirely through his beak as his nares are fully clogged.

Broccoli can ALSO sometimes result in smelly poop, so that can confuse things. If he's playing with his toys and seems happy, and his stool is well formed, I don't worry too much if I can occasionally smell his droppings & I know he's eating broccoli, lol.

Mostly, if he stops playing with his toys, is sleeping a lot, or seems quieter and more unsteady than usual, we assume something is going on and investigate. He gets his blood drawn and a culture for his nares & fecal done every year even if we don't think anything is going on - well, it's more like every six months for him. However, he is a bit older (we were told he's in his 30s but his vet & another experienced parrot handler both said he looks older than that) and he has a few pre-existing health issues that make him prone to infections.

Sometimes it can be genetic. Before he passed, it seemed like every time we had bloodwork done on our cockatiel something was off - and it was never the same thing either, heh. He was also very, very small for a tiel and had to be given baby bird formula as a supplement for a long time just to get his weight up.
Oh geez mines stuffs himself on broccoli... loves it. Snow peas too. He pooped red the other day ... he'd had dried red chili and then raspberry....
He has sign of respiratory problems. And he has a nap on my shoulder but he's not tired or fluffy.
The vet didn't seem concerned. So I'll just give him his meds and hope it's OK 🀞

Most Reactions

Latest posts