sounds like pigeon when flying

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
I donā€™t know where the sound comes from. My eclectus recently started to sound like a pigeon when flying (like the high pitch weeweeeweees) but before he was just dull flap flap. Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s his tail feathers? cuz some of them have fringes. I also checked to make sure itā€™s not yoshi himself making the noise. I doubt it (listen w stethoscope after flight) he also isnā€™t out of breath after short flights so nothing sounded wheezy.

I bet itā€™s not a big deal but it is a change I do not know the answer to. The only change is probably weight difference ? He obviously got heavier growing up. But does a few grams rly do that. Is there like an aerospace engineer that knows how this works, where itā€™s coming from just for curiosity.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting question, one for which I have no answer, being a mechanical engineer.

Being a mechanical engineer in fact gives you a wing-up on this one Al!!

Flight noise /sound is tied to the sound that feathers make when they move across each other. Commonly their naturally occurring dust acts to reduct friction and reduce noise. That said, if a few feathers are mis-aligned (commonly prior to their molt or damage) a noise like that can occur. Although, tail feather can create noise, it is far more commonly heard from the wing feathers as action of creating lift and forward movement is heavily dependent on the extensive amount movement of the primary and secondary wing feathers .

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Being a mechanical engineer in fact gives you a wing-up on this one Al!!

Flight noise /sound is tied to the sound that feathers make when they move across each other. Commonly their naturally occurring dust acts to reduct friction and reduce noise. That said, if a few feathers are mis-aligned (commonly prior to their molt or damage) a noise like that can occur. Although, tail feather can create noise, it is far more commonly heard from the wing feathers as action of creating lift and forward movement is heavily dependent on the extensive amount movement of the primary and secondary wing feathers .
OHH thatā€™s actually rly cool thank you. I guess the mis-aligned feathers make sense, he is still molting (or trying to) and he is taking his time (first molt).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Along those same lines, owls have very soft ā€œfringedā€ feathers that make their flight almost soundless. It would be more difficult to fly around looking for food if your prey could hear you coming a long way away.

Itā€™s amazing how little sound a flying owl makes, even if you are right next to them.

There are other birds who have ratchet tails that buzz loudly in flight. I donā€™t recall what theyā€™re advertising; maybe that theyā€™re really attractive male birds who can afford a handicap.

Most Reactions

Latest posts