special needs baby

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
so some may know I've been looking to get a baby conure for a bit now and the breeder I am wanting to get from had 3 clutches recently. The pair I was looking at are experienced parents and have raised clutches with no issue but the other 2 pairs were first timers. From what I understand one of the pairs has run into an issue were one of the parents bit the baby and damaged the eye and beak. The breeder says she may be able to correct the beak but the eye might be a goner. shes pulled the baby and it seems to be doing okay. I'll link pictures below of the beak and eye. But the point of this thread is I'm a sucker for the special needs animals (my first bird was almost a one legged pigeon but he ended up going to another home) and I believe I am going to try and get this baby. Theres no guarantee right now but in the case I do, what can do to give this little on the best life possible? I imagine only having one eye wont change much but please do correct me if I'm wrong. and if the breeder cant correct the beak how can I help with eating? I intended to feed a pellet and chop diet, should I lean more towards chop since it would be softer? should I consider formula? (I use to regularly see someone feeding a bird that was missing its top beak formula but I'm not sure of the reason)

and here are the pics, they dont show blood and the eye wound looks like nothing more than a scab at this point and I personally cant tell what's wrong with the beak but the breeders post mentioned it being an issue. if someone can point out the issue to me I would greatly appreciate it. The links take you directly to the images not some 3rd party site. I just didnt want to post the images of injuries for the squeamish.

Good eyes possible look at beak
Close up of bad eye
Another picture of bad eye

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Props for considering this special needs baby! I haven't a clue what to expect other than consulting an experienced avian vet for guidance.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The natural healing powers are still at work and one should not give-up on the eye healing more as the days ahead complete. The beak is the most concerning as they tend not to become 'better' but minor adjustments can create amazing results.

The concern is underlining issues that may not be apparent as of yet. Parrots with underlining health issues is one of the common reasons that parents will choice to kill a baby, especially early one.

Blindess in a single eye for a companion Parrot is easy to provide help with. A baby with a beak problem can demand special feeding that may become a life time support issue.

Scotts truly great recommendation of involving an Avail Medical Professional early in this process is excellent as the best help is early help.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yeah I hope the eye heals but it's not look good the breeder says she doesnt feel anything on that side so the eye has got to be pretty severely damaged. I will definitely be having a vet see him asap, though I would be doing the same thing with an uninjured baby.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
unknown.png

Here's another update on the little one. The one eye seems to be opened fine but the damaged on doesnt look so good

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
still no clue what color the little bab will be. I would say it doesnt matter but it kind of does. The breeder prices her babies based on color and this clutch produces the more... expensive colors. He could also still be a turquoise which is what I was originally after. So I budgeted for that, not one of the more expensive ones. I also dont know if the breeder will price this baby as less because hes special needs or not. I wouldnt mind paying full price but I guess we will see what happens. The breeder just sent out DNAs to have them sexed and once she gets those back she will be listing the babies for sale. (Though they still wont go home until ~9 weeks). wish me luck

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, my heart is melting all over the keyboard!
Bless you, Owlet, bless you.
I hope the little guy pulls through; I hope you take him/her; I hope we get to follow a story of a special-needs conure who blooms with some extra care
Thank you for your goodness and bravery. I know firsthand that special needs kids iften show special gifts!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I had a dream baby bird ended up looking like a doberman LOL I obviously am 1) way too excited about this bird 2) work with dogs a lot

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
update: breeder should have DNA results sometimes tomorrow if not then friday. Theres also a chance the eye is intact but the eyelids are wonky. heres what the breedwr posted

Update on little Mike Wizowski. Our little special needs baby. He’s growing and thriving. The eye has not opened when it should. And the eye slit looks too small to open fully. But only time will tell what it does. I can see some black shiny eye in there. Also the beak is better.

The bottom eyelid appears to be missing.
FB_IMG_1628730400235.jpg

FB_IMG_1628730407815.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts