specializing a specialized diet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So I got a bunch of stuff for a new chop for Lincoln and I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it as I'm getting stuff I haven't really gotten before. He needs things that aren't high in cholestoral and stuff higher in phosphor. What do you guys think about the stuff below? Hasn't been made yet of course so changes / additions can be made.

- brown rice
- red lentils
- broccoli
- Cauliflower
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Acorn Squash
- Orange / Yellow bell peppers
- Yams
- Oats
- Kale
- Soybeans
- Peach
- Raspberries

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
So I got a bunch of stuff for a new chop for Lincoln and I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it as I'm getting stuff I haven't really gotten before. He needs things that aren't high in cholestoral and stuff higher in phosphor. What do you guys think about the stuff below? Hasn't been made yet of course so changes / additions can be made.

- brown rice
- red lentils
- broccoli
- Cauliflower
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Acorn Squash
- Orange / Yellow bell peppers
- Yams
- Oats
- Kale
- Soybeans
- Peach
- Raspberries

Sounds yummy. Chock full of goodness! :smile049:
I always throw in a hot pepper. Levi is more apt to eat it w/ a hot pepper in it.
I also grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder first. If you donā€™t crack the seed you donā€™t get the benefits. (w/ ppl anyway) Not sure if itā€™s the same for our birds? So, I grind it just in case.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
hmm I don't have a coffee grinder.. I do have a morter and pestle though x)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thatā€™ll work. But, before doing it by hand, maybe find out if itā€™s even necessary.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I found this on the web.
It appears to be the same. If the parrot doesnā€™t crack the shell itā€™s benefits cannot to utilized.

ā€œFlaxseed is one of natureā€™s tiniest miracles. It is packed with plant protein, fiber, B vitamins, minerals, and is an amazing source of omega 3 fatty acids, but it also contains mostly healthy polyunsaturated fats and is lower in saturated fats than most nuts.

It amazes me that so much goodness can fit inside that tiny package. But because it is so small and has a hard shell, it needs to be ground to be effective, otherwise it is passed through the digestive system whole and unutilized. I have an electric coffee grinder that I use only for grinding seeds or spices ā€” never for coffee or anything else detrimental to my birds.ā€

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
would the same apply to chia seeds?

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
ā€œWhole Versus Ground Chia Seeds
You can use chia seeds whole, unlike flax seed, which must be ground to release its pulp and beneficial oil. Chia seeds are easily broken open after they are moistened, as you can tell when they pop in your mouth as you chew them. The whole seed will be digested enough in your body to allow the beneficial omega-3 fatty acids to be absorbed. Either whole or ground, they provide the benefits of fiber in your diet.ā€œ

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Okay thank God I already have enough flax I need to grind up. Ended up putting them in my food processor and it's doing... okay. Not sure how much of a difference a coffee grinder would make.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Your ingredients sound really good to me. Only one I can't really speak on is the soybean, as I don't know much about it. But great picks on all the rest! Lincoln is a lucky bird.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I read that soy beans were good for phosphor on a link I think Chris posted on a different thread.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I'm also drying some banana and apple slices for treats too. he also has a bag of dried peas, peppers, tomatoes, and corn I give. I don't give the corn though since he doesn't do well with corn.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Go very easy on the soybean. They have a lot of phytoestrogens which mimic estrogen functions.

In our parrots, estrogen = hormonal behaviorā€™

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I only use a small bag and only the beans, not the skins. With everything else in i hope it doesn't add up to be too many beans x.x

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Seems like a lot of fruit and I'd just personally skip the soybeans personally. Otherwise, looks great!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
how is a small thing of raspberries and a single peach too much fruit? especially with everything else?

edit: that came off hostile but genuinely curious

Going with soybeans because he needs the phosphor. just gonna have to keep an eye in his hormones.

Last edited:

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I know nothing about eclectus ... but recently Anansi wrote his had a toe-tapping episode after eating combinations of blackberries - raspberries - blueberries and nobody knows why. I would feed only US sourced organic raspberries, and soak them or wash them very well first. Berries are very perishable and all kind of bugs like to eat them so they are usually sprayed many times with serious pesticides, up to a day before harvest.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
They were organic and US grown and were washed prior. I've only seen problems with berries if there's too much of it in the chop. Whenever I've heard someone have a problem with them they put more than 1 kind too. Maybe it's something with combining the berries.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I think your fruit count is just fine. If you threw in two or three other fruits then Iā€™d worry

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Still not sure I understand Monica, do you mean seeds in general?

edit: no I think I understand since bell peppers are considered fruits too. But I don't think they're as sugary as common fruit. I don't really know ><

Most Reactions

Latest posts