Spices

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I've been looking and I can't seem to find a list of spices which are safe. I've been using turmeric to flavor Nika's morning mushy cookups, (for about a week) which she loved, but last night I found out turmeric may have blood thinning properties (in humans) so I've stopped. Does anyone know which spices are safe? Especially hot and pungent spices.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I've been looking and I can't seem to find a list of spices which are safe. I've been using turmeric to flavor Nika's morning mushy cookups, (for about a week) which she loved, but last night I found out turmeric may have blood thinning properties (in humans) so I've stopped. Does anyone know which spices are safe? Especially hot and pungent spices.

I want to go with the 'pretty much anything in moderation' type attitude here. With the exceptions of things like onion, which are toxic. Tumeric is fine, just don't be feeding him it daily and in large doses. Swap around the spices you use and try not to use too many 'blood thinners' in a row. So look into the properties. :)

Bring on all the hot spices down, they'll love em. :)

If there are any spices you have that you want to know if they're safe or not, post them here and we can maybe make some form of check list for others to see?

Most are fine, it's really all about moderation. :)

Here's a list of 'what not to use' taken from (Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds)
The website also says what's good, but more as a "remedy" than as a "lets spice food up" type perspective.

HERBAL PRODUCTS TO AVOID

•BORAGE--Contains toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids
•CALAMUS--Indian type most toxic
•CHAPPARAL--Can induce severe liver toxicity
•COLSTFOOT--Contains carcinogenic alkaloids
•COMFREY--Contains toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids
•EPHEDRA or MA HUANG--Can cause dangerous increase in heart rate and blood pressure
•GERMANDER--Can cause liver toxicity
•LICORICE--Can cause sodium and water retention and potassium depletion
•MA HUANG--Has caused heart attacks, seizures, psychotic episodes and death in humans
•LIFE ROOT--Can cause liver toxicity
•LOBELIA-- Also called Indian tobacco, can lead to vomiting, convulsions, coma and death
•PENNYROYAL--The oil is highly toxic to the liver and interferes with blood clotting
•POKEROOT--May be fatal
•SASSAFRASS--Ineffective and carcinogenic
•YOHIMBE:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Here are some of the 'safe' stuff, which I think is more what you're looking for! (Tumeric is on that list! ;))

Taken from another forum (found via google searching herbs for parrots, etc.)
Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots... - Avian Avenue

Alfalfa Leaf helps assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients. Contains chlorophyll. Richest land source of trace minerals. Very rich supply of Beta Carotene, Vitamins K and D. High in Calcium and contains Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium and eight essential enzymes. It is also high in fructo-oligosaccarides which fertilize healthy bacteria in the gut and neutralize bad bacteria overgrowth such as Candida.
Parsley is used as a preventive herb. High in Vitamin B and Potassium. It is said to contain a substance in which cancer cells cannot multiply. Rich in iron, chlorophyll and Vitamins A and C. Contains sodium, copper, thiamin and riboflavin, silicon, sulfur, calcium and cobalt.
Flaxseed supplies the body with essential fatty acids. Not only are flaxseeds richer in these fatty acids than fish oil, but they also taste much better. Flaxseed also promotes strong nails, bones and healthy skin.
Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Chickweed contains Vitamins A, C and some B, Flavonoids, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc. It is used for skin problems, to treat blood disorders, gout and arthritis.
DandelionLeaf benefits liver function. Contains nutritive salts, protein, and is a rich source of Vitamin A. Also high in Vitamins B, C and E. Rich in Potassium, Calcium and sodium. Contains some Phosphorus and Iron as well as Nickel, Cobalt, Tin and Copper.
Red Clover Blossoms and Leaf contain Vitamins A, C, B-Complex, calcium, Chromium, Iron and Magnesium. Ed Clover has also been used effectively as a blood purifier and antibiotic.
Red Raspberry Leaf contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B. It is very high in available Calcium.
Rose Hips is abundant in Vitamin C and helps combat stress.
Milk Thistle Seeds supports the liver's ability to maintain normal liver function. Milk thistle works due to its ability to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones. Milk thistle is also an antioxidant that is more potent than Vitamins C and E.
Barley Grassis rich in Beta Carotene, B Vitamins and Vitamin C, the minerals Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Chlorophyll, 8 essential amino acids and enzymes, including antioxidant and superoxide dismutase. In total, it contains 92 minerals and 22 vitamins.
Dill Weed is high in Calcium and soothing to digestion.
Dulse is rich in Protein. It contains 22% more than chickpeas, almonds or whole sesame seeds. Very high in Vitamins B6 and B12. Relatively low in sodium and high in Potassium. Rich in trace minerals.
Garlic Powder fights bacteria like an antibiotic. Garlic's sulfur compounds, in addition to Selenium and Vitamins A and C containing compounds, make it a potent antioxidant, protecting cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease. Garlic directly attacks bacteria and viruses and stimulates the bodies natural defenses against foreign invaders.
Ginger Powder is an absolute favorite taste of parrots. It is an excellent herb for the respiratory system as well as an effective cleansing agent for the digestive system. It contains Protein, Vitamins A, C and B Complex, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Wheat grass contains to many nutrients to mention them all. It is especially high in Fiber, Protein, Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B Complex, C, E and K, most minerals and contains 18 Amino Acids. High in Fructo-Oligosaccharides.
Astragalus Powderis an immunomodulator. It contains Glycosides, Polysaccharides, Choline, Betaine, Rumatakenin, and Beta-Sitosterol. It activates the immune system, thus enhancing the body's natural ability to fight disease and protecting the body against a number of toxins.
Chili Flakes is a digestive aid. This flake acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and aids in controlling pain.
Cinnamon is a favorite taste of parrots. It is a digestive aid and recent studies have shown it may help to eliminate E. Coli in food.
Turmeric Root has five times more antioxidant power than Vitamin E. Contains curcumin and many other phytochemicals. Makes foods more digestible and possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and protects the liver by detoxification and scavenging free radicals. It also breaks down fats.
Taken from: Herb Mix

Cayenne Pepper:
Cayenne is rich in the vitamins A, C, iron, potassium and calcium. It also contains some B complex, magnesium, phosphorus and sulfur. It has an antioxident effect that in very high doses can increase the risk of some cancers but in moderate doses can help to heal other cancers.

------

We give Merlin things with paprika in it. We make goulash (a hungarian dish) with lots and lots of paprika. He usually ends up with a bit of shin beef coated in the stuff. Yumyum. :)

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Thanks for the link! Looks like I'm swapping turmeric for cayenne and cinnamon! I fed her her breakfast today without turmeric and she ate it with gusto, so I'll only offer it now and again. I didn't see cloves (dried and ground) on the list. I'll keep looking.....the info on spices on the web is extremely scarce.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Oh paprika! Good! I was wondering about that one, but I haven't used it out of fear that it's harmful.

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Basil is on the danger list from what I remember too!

I've been giving basil (especially Indian basil) to my birds for many years with no ill effects. Curious as to where you saw this info on basil?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Garlic is one of those things that's in the grey area. It's "ok" in minute amounts, but if a bird eats too much it can be deadly. It's really hard to say just how much is safe because some animals may react worse to it than others. Doesn't matter if it's fresh garlic or cooked garlic.

When I've used garlic, I put it through a garlic press/crusher so that it ends up in tiny pieces, then added that to a much larger mix, and done so very rarely.

Most Reactions