Spill-Proof Feeders

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
I tried hunting through the subforums to see if this has been mentioned anywhere, but couldn't find anything.

Where I currently live, this type of spill-proof feeder is quite popular:
https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/56204072/TB2mLBomuuSBuNjSsziXXbq8pXa_!!56204072.jpg

Any thoughts/takes on such a contraption? It definitely looks squeezy, but we would probably DIY our own to make a bigger, more comfortable one with more head space.

But does the concept make sense, especially for a diet that's mostly fruit/veggie? Do you anticipate a parrot disliking it or having any other kinds of problems with it? Could it be somehow be hazardous?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It looks like a lot of fun actually :)

If you feed a lot of wet/ mushy/ sticky food and (like one on my greys) your parrot loves to fling food about, or just shake its head in between bites to semi-clean the beak ... it makes totall sense!

I love the fact it it is see-through and seems to be easy to clean.

We used to build smaller and longer versions for avaries with finches/ canaries etc. / anything to keep them from spilling food all over and attracting rodents.
But ... plywood / wood is really a nightmare to keep clean.
(bucketloads of boiling water and sodium carbonate/ washing soda)

I wish they sold them around here / does Amazon have them? - no idea what they are called.
(Though the importtaxes-war makes it no longer much fun to order from the States anymore :( )

Last edited:
OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
It looks like a lot of fun actually :)

If you feed a lot of wet/ mushy/ sticky food and (like one on my greys) your parrot loves to fling food about, or just shake its head in between bites to semi-clean the beak ... it makes totall sense!

I love the fact it it is see-through and seems to be easy to clean.

We used to build smaller and longer versions for avaries with finches/ canaries etc. / anything to keep them from spilling food all over and attracting rodents.
But ... plywood / wood is really a nightmare to keep clean.
(bucketloads of boiling water and sodium carbonate/ washing soda)

I wish they sold them around here / does Amazon have them? - no idea what they are called.
(Though the importtaxes-war makes it no longer much fun to order from the States anymore :( )

Glad they pass your test :) I didn't know if they were too good to be true!

Just found one on Amazon [https://www.amazon.com/Tidy-Seed-No...0121840&sr=8-8&keywords=no+spill+bird+feeder], but considering you're in the Netherlands, it might be cheaper to get from Aliexpress (a few of my Dutch friends use it) [https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CAI...or-Small-Birds-Small-Parrot/32829761998.html]

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Nothing is ever perfect ... ;)

There are always birds that will lean in, grab a mouthfull, sit up straight and still throw/ drop it everywhere.

The ones in the aviaries got an extra 'gutter' underneath, protruding (beyond the perces) to catch more of the spilled stuf.

==

Oh , aren't you clever!! :07:

Thank you for those links!

Last edited:

Most Reactions