• fine they'll get over it easily

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
First let me say I've read the stickies and that we are well aware of the measures needed to find good homes including checking avian vet references.

For those who haven't seen my posts before, a little background. (Mad) Max is yellow naped Amazon about 16 y o who seems to absolutely hate me. Baby is a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo about 3 y o. History before we got them is a little sketchy. We do know they were allowed free run of the home they were in, it was covered in droppings and the remains of an African Gray were found, too. The elderly resident was permanently moved to a nursing home and the house condemned.

My g/f was an animal rescue professional for many years, most recently the resident care taker at a no kill shelter. When she left that job she just kept right on rescuing animals without considering the costs. We "rescued" Max and Baby and spent $300 on a used cage, but folks here on the forum recommended separate cages and one of the birds is still residing in a relatively small cage (most of the time Max is in the big cage but they sometimes switch) We keep looking for a bargain on a second cage but money is tight. Baby flies, Max only when stressed.

My g/f insists these birds are "paired" and that it would cause terrible stress if they were separated. My fear is that it would be difficult to find a home where both birds can get the attention they need. Baby often goes into screeching fits and flapping her wings about, which I understand is common behavior for cockatoos but not very endearing. I have not tried to handle Max since early in their stay with us as he bites me, even when I offer food. I received what I am sure is very excellent advice about dealing with this but I work 2 jobs and do not have the 1 hour minimum per day to work with him.

We do plan on charging a reasonable rehoming fee. We are located 1 hour west of Indianapolis / 3.5 hours south of Chicago. We have no truck to deliver the cage.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How bonded are the birds? I mean, do they even like each other? If they just happened to come together and don't really like and/or care about each other, there should no issue rehoming them separately. If they are best buddies and strongly bonded, it would be most ideal to regime them as a bonded pair and really emphasize to a prospective adopter how important it is they remain together.

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
How bonded are the birds? I mean, do they even like each other? If they just happened to come together and don't really like and/or care about each other, there should no issue rehoming them separately. If they are best buddies and strongly bonded, it would be most ideal to regime them as a bonded pair and really emphasize to a prospective adopter how important it is they remain together.

When we let them out they preen each other, mostly Max preening her. They sometimes scream and nip each other although not seriously trying to cause injury.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Depends on the birds, how bonded they actually are, how much attention they get at their new home, etc.

It can be anywhere from an adjustment, to so upsetting, they pluck themselves right down to the very last head feather...

My 43 year old lilac crowned was SUPER BONDED to a CAG in her previous home. We WARNED THEM not to split up the pair. They wanted to keep the CAG and get rid of the LCA. I took the LCA, but I have a CAG... and those two quickly became inseparable...

Their CAG? Plucked himself raw, and wasn't the same bird.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Like others have said it depends on the level of bonding.

If they are "just friends" they may still preen each other, but they won't feed each other.

If given the choice, do they sleep in the same cage or go to different cages? Going to the same doesn't necessarily mean bonded, but going to different ones to sleep most likely means not bonded.

I'm not an Amazon or large cockatoo parront so I'm not sure what species specific behavior you might see either way, but in my experience a bonded pair of birds (eclectus, conure, Ringneck, Quaker, cockatiel, lovebird, budgie) will do ANYTHING to stay together. When you put them in different cages they spend all day trying to get out and be together, usually screaming their heads off the whole time. If you have them separated and they aren't losing their minds, I would doubt they are a bonded pair. Also in my experience splitting up two birds who are NOT bonded but just housed together can be the best gift you ever give them; so much so that TWO "pairs" I've rescued have completely re-feathered after being pluckers just from being put in different cages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Depends on the birds, how bonded they actually are, how much attention they get at their new home, etc.

It can be anywhere from an adjustment, to so upsetting, they pluck themselves right down to the very last head feather...

My 43 year old lilac crowned was SUPER BONDED to a CAG in her previous home. We WARNED THEM not to split up the pair. They wanted to keep the CAG and get rid of the LCA. I took the LCA, but I have a CAG... and those two quickly became inseparable...

Their CAG? Plucked himself raw, and wasn't the same bird.

I agree.
It really depends on the bird and the situation.

I split up my male/female Cockatiel. After 2 clutches of eggs and successfully raising them to adult-hood We did not want more (for lots of reasons).
They are in cages next to each other, can see each other and I occasionally let them out of the cages at the same time.

The female has plucked some of her feathers under her wings but it is minor.
The alternative is let her lay clutch after clutch and wear herself out.
It's hard work laying eggs and raising the babies.

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
My wife is finally at the point she will allow these birds to be rehomed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As others stated it depends on the bond truly bonded should not be split up as birds bond for life . But can be in separate cages side by side and allowed time out together.

I've had/have 3 bonded pairs. They choose to always be near each other a majority of the time when out together but will foraging within sight of each other but separated by 10 feet or so. They would preen each other and regurgitate to each other. They would choose to sleep together and be in the same cage together but I kept them side by side. If one bird is out of sight tgey call and get upset.

Right now I have two female quaker that are bonded. If one is out of the cage and one is in the cage try and break into and be together. As they fly around the house they stay together if one Flys the other Flys to be next too them. They preen and regurgitate to each other. They do not let the other burds get next to their bond mate . If one rides on my shoulders to another room the left burd will scream and fly around the house looking for us.

I had 2 bonded female green cheeks together for years. When one passed I almost lost the other to grief and depression. She had been fully checked out by veterinarian and was not sick in any way was just depressed. She started plucking, she called alarm calls and her freinds name or just sit and never move. It was so bad and incredibly sad.

If these are not so closely bonded , then finding them their own homes is probably easier.

But they are still flock friends. When one if my flock is in a hospital Cage the whole flock will find individual time to visit . Or visit as a flock.

Sometimes re home is best for parrots. They need a lot , and it's better to get them to home tgey can receive that, than to leave them caged and ignored with food water and toys. Because that is not a life for such a highly intelligent and social sbd active creature .

Most Reactions

Latest posts