Sprouts!

Lamb

Apr 14, 2019
Parrots
American Budgies: Puppy, Birdie, Rainbow, Blu, Avalanche.
Lovebird: Mango, Orchid, Wolfie, Opal
English Budgies: Jasper, Anna, Ginji, Aoi, Ōdanna, Rocky.
GCC: Gracie
Cockatiel: Sol
IRN: Blue, Tik
I’ve seen them mentioned here and members seem to be a little hesitant about trying so I got to thinking and decided I’d share an important tip.

Ground cinnamon! Add a sprinkle throughout the process. It’s a natural and parrot safe antibacterial AND it helps stimulate plant growth/rooting. Just started a new batch and was thinking about it and decided it’d be good to share with everyone. :rainbow1:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
does type matter? Inclined to use Ceylon since i already know that's safe for parrots but don't know about other varieties.

OP
L

Lamb

Apr 14, 2019
Parrots
American Budgies: Puppy, Birdie, Rainbow, Blu, Avalanche.
Lovebird: Mango, Orchid, Wolfie, Opal
English Budgies: Jasper, Anna, Ginji, Aoi, Ōdanna, Rocky.
GCC: Gracie
Cockatiel: Sol
IRN: Blue, Tik
Ceylon would be effective but maybe not as much since it has lower properties than Cassia varieties but both share the same attributes. I’d just make sure to add a sprinkle when you soak, then after you rinse and so forth until you’ve sprouted how you prefer!

Both are safe for parrots! I’ve been using Cassia for weaning babies for years. It helps reduce sour crop and is great to add to weaning foods because the taste carries over in a more seamless transition.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Use true cinnamon- the other variety (more widely available) can have ill-effects on bird's internal organs. Cassia cinnamon contains unsafe levels of coumarin and can damage the liver and kidneys. Ceylon (the more expensive) is much safer.

I know this isn't the best source (biased), but it has some information which may be used as a starting point for further investigation:
https://cinnamonvogue.com/blog/coumarin-in-cassia-cinnamon/

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts