Sprouts!

Lamb

Apr 14, 2019
Parrots
American Budgies: Puppy, Birdie, Rainbow, Blu, Avalanche.
Lovebird: Mango, Orchid, Wolfie, Opal
English Budgies: Jasper, Anna, Ginji, Aoi, Ōdanna, Rocky.
GCC: Gracie
Cockatiel: Sol
IRN: Blue, Tik
Iā€™ve seen them mentioned here and members seem to be a little hesitant about trying so I got to thinking and decided Iā€™d share an important tip.

Ground cinnamon! Add a sprinkle throughout the process. Itā€™s a natural and parrot safe antibacterial AND it helps stimulate plant growth/rooting. Just started a new batch and was thinking about it and decided itā€™d be good to share with everyone. :rainbow1:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
does type matter? Inclined to use Ceylon since i already know that's safe for parrots but don't know about other varieties.

OP
L

Lamb

Apr 14, 2019
Parrots
American Budgies: Puppy, Birdie, Rainbow, Blu, Avalanche.
Lovebird: Mango, Orchid, Wolfie, Opal
English Budgies: Jasper, Anna, Ginji, Aoi, Ōdanna, Rocky.
GCC: Gracie
Cockatiel: Sol
IRN: Blue, Tik
Ceylon would be effective but maybe not as much since it has lower properties than Cassia varieties but both share the same attributes. Iā€™d just make sure to add a sprinkle when you soak, then after you rinse and so forth until youā€™ve sprouted how you prefer!

Both are safe for parrots! Iā€™ve been using Cassia for weaning babies for years. It helps reduce sour crop and is great to add to weaning foods because the taste carries over in a more seamless transition.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Use true cinnamon- the other variety (more widely available) can have ill-effects on bird's internal organs. Cassia cinnamon contains unsafe levels of coumarin and can damage the liver and kidneys. Ceylon (the more expensive) is much safer.

I know this isn't the best source (biased), but it has some information which may be used as a starting point for further investigation:
https://cinnamonvogue.com/blog/coumarin-in-cassia-cinnamon/

Last edited:

Most Reactions