Squash questions

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What is the healthiest way to prepare squash for them? Baking or steaming? Are the seeds edible? I haven't cut it yet, but I'm going to today. Yesterday, the sweet potato went great and was a huge hit!

Last edited:

nicki

Mar 26, 2013
Media
Dallas TX
Parrots
6 mo old Eclectus :)
I just gave my ekkie some squash tonight for the first time and I have never seen him eat so well at night! I'm thrilled!

Anyway, all I did was boil it a little bit with his other night veggies/beans to make it a bit soft and warm. The bit of research I did today concerning squash and parrots was that every part is good for them either cooked or raw, just your bird's preference :)

OP
Kalidasa

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Mine loved it too! I halved it, scooped out seeds and filled cavities with coconut oil, whole cloves (4 ea), diced carrots and peas and cinnamon and baked @400 for 20 mins. It was delicious and we shared it. She stuffed herself. The pic was befor it went in the oven.

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Squash of all kinds is good for your birds. Baked or boiled. Mine like it baked best. I bake the seeds separately, and use them for treats. You can also buy cooked squash frozen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts