Squat and wing flutter behaviour

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
New to me, she just moved in today.
She’s 4 years old.

Can anyone tell me what this little squat/wing flutter is? Is it hormonal?

(**Apologies for the music seeming so loud, I swear it’s not blasting.)

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Whoa dude, that is like super duper high pitched!!

I believe that is hormonal behavior but I'm sure someone with more knowledge shrill pitch in.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't have ringneck experience, but my ekkie has a very similar squat and flutter, minus the squeak sound. What else is happening when she does this? Is she hand tame? Does she come out of the cage? I see she's brand new to you, but the background and context is important to know what she's telling you. I know there's several different things it could mean, from anticipation and excitement, to being defensive or aggressive. To me, yours looks a lot like my guy being excited. In my case, it's always him trying to get my attention, and demanding that I let him out so he can get to me. I'm very much his person.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
I don't have ringneck experience, but my ekkie has a very similar squat and flutter, minus the squeak sound. What else is happening when she does this? Is she hand tame? Does she come out of the cage? I see she's brand new to you, but the background and context is important to know what she's telling you. I know there's several different things it could mean, from anticipation and excitement, to being defensive or aggressive. To me, yours looks a lot like my guy being excited. In my case, it's always him trying to get my attention, and demanding that I let him out so he can get to me. I'm very much his person.
I think I figured it out, with the help of your reply. I think it was excitement based, I hadn’t let her out of her cage since bringing her home and I think she was trying to convince me to. Today I have had her in and out a few times and I haven’t seen her do it at all this afternoon.

She was very bonded with her precious owner and would do hormonal behaviour towards her.

We are making baby steps together but I was very happy when she came out and came right to me. I even got her to fly to me from across the room a couple times.

Thanks for your reply.
107C34AF-CAF8-413E-BD0F-B4617FAA4241.jpeg

mybluebirb

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
one female indian ringneck
New to me, she just moved in today.
She’s 4 years old.
View attachment 49686
Can anyone tell me what this little squat/wing flutter is? Is it hormonal?

(**Apologies for the music seeming so loud, I swear it’s not blasting.)

I have a ringneck too and this behaviour is hormonal shes showing she’s excited!
I may be wrong but it looks like she’s rubbing on the perch maybe it’s her “love toy” which is basically a toy that turns her on 🫣 this can cause her to start laying eggs (trust me on this my ringneck is stressing me out so much with her recent egg laying because of her blanket which was her love toy/nest)

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
I have a ringneck too and this behaviour is hormonal shes showing she’s excited!
I may be wrong but it looks like she’s rubbing on the perch maybe it’s her “love toy” which is basically a toy that turns her on 🫣 this can cause her to start laying eggs (trust me on this my ringneck is stressing me out so much with her recent egg laying because of her blanket which was her love toy/nest)
I’ve learned it’s definitely excitement, I’m still out in if it’s because she’s feeling frisky or not! I still am seeing the behaviour but not nearly as often as I was before I started letting her out of her cage (after I first brought her home).

We don’t give her anything she can nest with and I’ve seen her do this on varying perches or on top of her cage. I definitely don’t want her to start laying eggs, I don’t want to deal with those potential issues!!

I hope your girl doesn’t encounter any issues with her egg laying!

Why must they stress us out so much??

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think I figured it out, with the help of your reply. I think it was excitement based, I hadn’t let her out of her cage since bringing her home and I think she was trying to convince me to. Today I have had her in and out a few times and I haven’t seen her do it at all this afternoon.

She was very bonded with her precious owner and would do hormonal behaviour towards her.

We are making baby steps together but I was very happy when she came out and came right to me. I even got her to fly to me from across the room a couple times.

Thanks for your reply.
View attachment 49797
What a pretty bird!

Most Reactions