Stainless steel cages

roadrunner

Feb 10, 2014
Plymouth
Parrots
Hahns Macaw- Benji (7 years old)
African Grey- Ru (7 months old)
Hi all!

We are thinking of getting Benji and Ru a new stainless steel cage each this year. As we are in the UK we will have to get them imported from the US as there seems to be a market for them there.

My question to you all is: do any of you have stainless steel cages for your birdies and if you do, can you tell me what they are like?

Many thanks!

Char xx:green::white1:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
They are like steel cages, only shiney. And 2x as expensive, at least.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
They are like steel cages, only shiney. And 2x as expensive, at least.

Part of the expense is because the material is more expensive, part of it is because the welding that goes into it is harder and more expensive and part of it is BECAUSE. (I've done welding in my past... regular steel is super easy. Stainless requires a bit more equipment and is marginally harder.)

I'd say at least half the added cost falls into that later category. You're willing to spend a bit of $$ for a nice home for your birds so they're going to see if they can't make that $$ as big as possible!

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
OHHHHH!!!!

The SHINEY COST! I totally forgot about the price premium cuz of shineyness!

Thanks Wrench. You, sir, are the brains of this here operation! (At least the one where it's you and me)

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Texas, by way of New Jersey
Parrots
Shades: African Grey Congo Male, hatched June 20, 2016
I was heading in the stainless steel dirention too. Two coasters on Shades' cage broke today, and I need areplacement ASAP! What do you recommend, if not stainless?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Today's World: 98 percent of Parrot Cages are made by maybe three or less China Based Manufactures!

We have been buying from Bird Cages 4 Less for years. The oldest cage is just short of 18 years old, with the youngest being 4 years old. The cage we buy for our Amazons is:

Lani Kai Lodge PLaytop Large Bird Cage - 32"W x 22"D X 64"H with a price of $ 350.00.

NOTE: Since the size of the vertical cage section being all about the same size (but check measurements) you should be able to order replacement parts for your cage. It is important to note that the Coasters are a weak point with all cage manufacturers regardless of Country of Manufacturer.

The Coaster, regardless of Manufacturer is not designed for moving much further than moving the Cage to one side of the other to clean under it. I know that does not make you happy, but it is a reality. Most people will break one or more and quickly learn that lifting and moving is a reality over anything more that a piece of newspaper.

Birds Cages 4 Less also sell Stainless Steel Cages.

I truly understand your frustration! I have broken more than a couple over the last 45 years

NOTE: Re Post From Another Thread! - SailBoat

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Coasters? The wheel things at the bottom? I always called them "Casters"

Anyway, you can also buy those at, again with this place, Home Depot. Or Harbor Freight if you've got one near you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Anyway, you can also buy those at, again with this place, Home Depot. Or Harbor Freight if you've got one near you.

Oooops, Clearly, Mrs. SaliBoat didn't review my Post prior to my Reply!!!:D

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Stainless steel is a fetish. I used to work in a chemistry lab with all the stainless tubing and swagelock one could desire for building stuff. Stainless steel is very rust resistant, but will rust if you get acid on it. Actually acid in general will corrode it. It resists salt and water quite well. Maybe the big selling point is that it doesn't need paint, because paint wears off and then the unworthy old plain steel rusts and you must perform maintenance. But a well maintained powder coated metal cage will probably last all your life with a little care.

Although it will not be SHINY...

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots

You're right!!! I was in such a hurry to post, I had the wrong word in my head and continued to use the same wrong word. DUH!!! LOL!

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots

Oooops, Clearly, Mrs. SaliBoat didn't review my Post prior to my Reply!!!:D

It was probably my fault. I started using coasters instead of casters, and apparently the wrong word was stuck in both our heads. :D

Qtpyinnj

May 15, 2016
Parrots
Stainless steel is a fetish. I used to work in a chemistry lab with all the stainless tubing and swagelock one could desire for building stuff. Stainless steel is very rust resistant, but will rust if you get acid on it. Actually acid in general will corrode it. It resists salt and water quite well. Maybe the big selling point is that it doesn't need paint, because paint wears off and then the unworthy old plain steel rusts and you must perform maintenance. But a well maintained powder coated metal cage will probably last all your life with a little care.

Although it will not be SHINY...

Good points, and really, all I'm asking for is a cage that will last a good while. I also don't want to changes they style as it works well for both the humans and the bird. Additionally, I don't want to freak him out with a different cage style and functionality.

Most Reactions

Latest posts