Stainless Steel Wielding

budgebudgies

Apr 16, 2021
USA
Parrots
Currently have four dorky budgies <3 Sky (adorable boy and loves cuddles), Angel (hot-cold girl), Dollico (bites everything but a big softie for pinkie pats) and baby Spring (sweetest baby boy)
Imgur link with the pictures:
Hello! I just received my first stainless steel cage (Featherlandā€™s Ellicott Manor styled cage, for smaller birds like finches and budgies) and needless to say.. I have questions.

First question part A: is it normal for my cage to be like this? In the first picture, it shows these white marks(?), presumably left from wielding the pieces together. These white circular marks arenā€™t elevated like a lump, but they aren't sunk in like a hole. Is it safe for birds? My budgies just recovered from heavy metal poisoning a while ago and Iā€™ve been trying to be super careful since then.

First question part B: Is that solder I see (purple circled)? At every intersection when a cage bar meets another cage bar, thereā€™s this mound thatā€™s white, or sometimes also has a little black in it. Does anyone elseā€™s stainless steel cage have this kind of solder(?) to connect all the cage bars?

Second question: there are a few places that are a little sharp. What do you guys use to file down stainless steel cages? Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance again. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The white is more likely flux or buffing paste as there is no white residue from welding Stainless Steel. Commonly a brush will remove it with a rising of fresh water.

The purple circles are very likely heat rings caused by the temperature increase caused by welding. Not sure what the black is.

Sharp edges can be rounded with the use of a medium sized steel file that can be obtained at the local Hardware or big box store.

It is worth calling your purchase source as those items should have been caught during final inspections.

Cheers!

OP
B

budgebudgies

Apr 16, 2021
USA
Parrots
Currently have four dorky budgies <3 Sky (adorable boy and loves cuddles), Angel (hot-cold girl), Dollico (bites everything but a big softie for pinkie pats) and baby Spring (sweetest baby boy)
The white is more likely flux or buffing paste as there is no white residue from welding Stainless Steel. Commonly a brush will remove it with a rising of fresh water.

The purple circles are very likely heat rings caused by the temperature increase caused by welding. Not sure what the black is.

Sharp edges can be rounded with the use of a medium sized steel file that can be obtained at the local Hardware or big box store.

It is worth calling your purchase source as those items should have been caught during final inspections.

Cheers!
Thank you! Definitely will contact Featherland.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Imgur link with the pictures:
Hello! I just received my first stainless steel cage (Featherlandā€™s Ellicott Manor styled cage, for smaller birds like finches and budgies) and needless to say.. I have questions.

First question part A: is it normal for my cage to be like this? In the first picture, it shows these white marks(?), presumably left from wielding the pieces together. These white circular marks arenā€™t elevated like a lump, but they aren't sunk in like a hole. Is it safe for birds? My budgies just recovered from heavy metal poisoning a while ago and Iā€™ve been trying to be super careful since then.

First question part B: Is that solder I see (purple circled)? At every intersection when a cage bar meets another cage bar, thereā€™s this mound thatā€™s white, or sometimes also has a little black in it. Does anyone elseā€™s stainless steel cage have this kind of solder(?) to connect all the cage bars?

Second question: there are a few places that are a little sharp. What do you guys use to file down stainless steel cages? Any specific product recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance again. :)
I also have Featherland stainless steel for my guys - I've had them since 2019 so pre-pandemic, not sure if build quality has been affected since. I gave mine a very thorough scrubbing with a big sponge and lots of hot soapy water, then gave them a blast with a pressure cleaner to get any lingering debris from the manufacturing process off of them. I've been very happy with mine, fortunately for me I had no issues with weld spots or build quality. As Sailboat mentioned, those issues you're having should have been caught prior to shipping so I'm glad that you are taking that up with the supplier :)

OP
B

budgebudgies

Apr 16, 2021
USA
Parrots
I also have Featherland stainless steel for my guys - I've had them since 2019 so pre-pandemic, not sure if build quality has been affected since. I gave mine a very thorough scrubbing with a big sponge and lots of hot soapy water, then gave them a blast with a pressure cleaner to get any lingering debris from the manufacturing process off of them. I've been very happy with mine, fortunately for me I had no issues with weld spots or build quality. As Sailboat mentioned, those issues you're having should have been caught prior to shipping so I'm glad that you are taking that up with the supplier :)
Gotcha, thank you for sharing! :)

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
It's hard to tell from the pictures but the cage almost looks like chrome plated steel, not stainless. I could be wrong. I would have to see in person. A magnet will not stick to good quality stainless steel. Also, the welds i see in the attached picture appear to be made after the cage was completed. That's what an unclean weld looks like on polished or plated steel. The rest of the lumpy welds are just crappy craftsmanship. They will hold up fine, just not very pretty. A file designed for filing steel is all you need to take care of sharp edges.

Attachments

• 20220224_133713.png
    20220224_133713.png
    385 KB · Views: 84

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
A magnet will not stick to good quality stainless steel.
Hi, @JohnH. This is often the case, but not always. Some processing techniques can make even good-quality stainless steel magnetic.

Here is a good explanation, with demonstrations.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
@budgebudgies, did you get this resolved? I would love to know the outcome.

Most Reactions