Starter birds?

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Do you guys actually think that starter birds are helpful before getting a large bird because at least in my experience there is absolutely no way you can compare a GCC or tiel or budgie to an Amazon or macaw or african greys they are absolutely completely different and I feel that I learned everything I needed to from this forum and meeting large birds instead of the bird I currently have. Having goose around is like having a fun little companion that will always make you laugh and I love him to death but bringing bonkers home is like bringing your grandpa to live with you he knows exactly what he likes and doesn't like and if you try to force anything on him he will curse you out but you can have an amazing relationship with your grandpa. I am so happy that I bought goose but I really don't think anything can prepare you for a large bird other than going and volunteering with them.
Do you guys suggest starter birds to people or not and if so why?

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots

Also here's a pic of gramps aka bonkers

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I respectfully reject the notion of a "starter bird." While I realize it is not your intent to slight a first bird, many less dedicated folks will view them as less desirable or disposable.

You are absolutely correct some birds are more challenging and require a robust and expensive infrastructure. This is why we highly encourage prospective parronts to join, read from our wise members, and ask questions. Lots of questions. Just as you did!!

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Myself, I'm not a fan of the starter bird idea anyway. For one, like you mentioned, it's apples to oranges going from a small bird to a large bird. More so, however, I don't like the idea because it reinforces the idea that small birds are "throw-aways". That once you can keep them alive, just get rid of them and move on.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
96b3921f0b8c429e07d95fb3193c94fe.jpg

Here are my first birds (and a 15 year old picture of my brother). They didn't teach me anything that I could really apply to my current flock other than that birds are a pain in the butt!

So no, I don't in ANY WAY agree with "starter birds." I remember once when I was maybe 13 a guy wanted to buy a lutino cockatiel from me (my parents and other adults irresponsibly let me breed birds at a very young age). Well he let slip that what he REALLY wanted was a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, but he was going to "learn" on my baby! Well at that point I had never seen a cockatoo or a video of a cockatoo or met a cockatoo owner, but I knew that I didn't want my baby relegated to a corner when the guy got the bird he really wanted! Needless to say he left without a bird!

Any parrot deserves to be fully researched and prepared for. And with that research and prep, the best "first bird" is the one you truly want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I can't imagine throwing away a small bird just because you got a
Big one I did however socialize goose with the whole family so even if I don't spend as much time with him one of my parents are so he is still living the good life

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Starter Birds? Never, every, believed in or recommended that concept! As stated so clearly above there is just no place for a Starter "...less dedicated folks will view them as less desirable or disposable..." From Scott's Post above.

Smaller Parrots have an important place in the family of 'Companion Parrots' as they fill the needs of individuals that are far more comfortable with them. Regarding the Love of Smaller Parrots, their abilities to create as larger a comfortable place in our hearts is as capable as the mid to larger Parrots.

Regarding Amazons! Hmmm, explains why I like /LOVE Amazons! They tell it like it is, just like me! Hey, You, Get Off My Grass! :D

Amazon's Rule and the other just Drool! :D

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I'm personally a sucker for small birds :) it isn't a fear of biting issue or anything like that, it's just that certain species own my soul and they all happen to be small!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I love so many of the points made above! I've never liked the concept of the starter bird, either. Right now most of you associate me with my ekkies, but the first bird to have stolen my heart was a cockatiel. His name was Suzie, and that bird loved me with all that he had for the nearly 18 years that I had him. And that love was very much reciprocated.

Bixby eventually came to mean just as much to me, as have Maya and Jolly, but Suzie's personality was every bit as amazing, unique and special as theirs. Different? Perhaps. But "starter bird"? Not a chance.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I don't like the idea of 'starter birds' personally. Some people truly prefer smaller birds and a budgie still needs the same level of love, attention and care as a hy. A tiel' has the same potential to be an awesome companion as an amazon. And so on and so forth... The real differences come in noise, bite force, space needs and associated costs, not personality or companion potential.

I also think no amount of experience prepares you for the individual personality you may bring home. Every bird is different. Experience may help, but it is not the be all and end all with getting a larger bird. I grew up with large parrots, including amazons and had been handling/cleaning/feeding/being bitten by:mad: etc... large parrots literally my entire life. Experience with nice, well socialized, single home their entire lives "normal" large parrots did not prepare me for the aggressive, ultra hormonal, angry and stubborn bird I brought home. I'm 100% certain having a smaller bird first wouldn't have prepared me either. And after everything we've gone through with Kiwi, I am not inclined to adopt any further parrots of any size small or large in the foreseeable future either. One is enough:p:green:

Most Reactions

Latest posts