Starting

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
I have one cockateil 2 months when I got him and its been one week already
Hey guys its me the owner of pepperu (rest in peace) I have gotten new birds recently two love birds and they are super cute but I dont know what to do so that they could see me as the owner and protector of them and not a predator to them. Pls coment down because I dont know what to do and I mguth make a wrong move and scare them in the pictures below they are different they just flew to different places

Attachments

• 37EA3393-E842-46E1-B10A-A776556681FD.jpeg
    37EA3393-E842-46E1-B10A-A776556681FD.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 91
  • BA0F0F70-B448-48C5-8C49-E4E8E30B95FC.jpeg
    BA0F0F70-B448-48C5-8C49-E4E8E30B95FC.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 93

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
If your birds are scared of you, then taming is a pretty simple process. An easy way of taming birds is to just give them their favorite treats, over and over, while speaking to them in a soothing voice and trying to entice them onto your finger. Remember to be patient. Taming a fearful bird can take a really long time. Lovebirds are little birds with huge personalities and such delights to own(I have a parrotlet, which is similar). I wish you and your adorable lovies the best.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A pair of loveies are notorious for being very hard to tame and be hand friendly. Just be aware of that. Work with each, out of the cage, and away from the other one, out of sight. And like Foxy said above, be patient, like really patient, with these 2.

OP
pepperudacockateil

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
I do my research for my teil and read some articles but sometimes I am not so sure if what I am reading is correct because in other articles it would say things like example: give your teil only millet and then another article would say dont gice you teil millet give it only bird foods. most of them are really confusing and I just ask the forrums since you guys are actually people that are experts I do ask a lot of questions but those questions are my questions that I really do not understand usually

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Wait a minute,
So your riel past away two days ago (very sorry for your loss) and u already have 2 lovebirds? sounds to me like you impulase buaght-
And neither does it sound to me like you did much research u (I am sorry if you have) I am not trying to be rude or anything but research is very important for any pet
If u did do research on ur tiel then its diffreefor your LB
No need to sound condescending, I know quite a handful of people who cannot get over the loss of their beloved pet and in order to fill up the emptiness they go for another quite soon. Be it cat, dog or bird (I do understand birds are really complex). Instead lets help the guy(or gal) out with his new pair of adorable lovebirds!

And I can assure you, no amount of research will prepare you 100%. I "researched" conures for 4 years before getting one, and lord, even when I did get one, I still had so many questions, for a moment I felt as if I never had a bird in my life (and I did have birds my whole life).

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hey guys its me the owner of pepperu (rest in peace) I have gotten new birds recently two love birds and they are super cute but I dont know what to do so that they could see me as the owner and protector of them and not a predator to them. Pls coment down because I dont know what to do and I mguth make a wrong move and scare them in the pictures below they are different they just flew to different places
They are surely adorable! As our other members already gave the most important advice: patience!

Having a pair will make things much harder. You can start with having like a small tiny tray on the front of the cage from the inside, it can be a super simply small plastic tray that you can clip to the cage. Every time you pass by, put some millet/sunflower seeds in it through the bars, as a treat. In a few days they should make a connection every time you pass by, they get yummy foods! You can experiment with different seeds or fruits (apple or berries..). See if you can get to lure them to you after a few days with a loooong millet spray, keeping distance from them.

And yeah, you'll have to learn how to tiptoe around them, not to spook them :D Wrench also gave an important advice, try to keep them separated when working with them, and by separated I mean different room. Makes a huge difference when you want to start the bonding with them, I had to separate my birds fully as my conure was so obsessed with the budgie and couldn't keep focus not even for a second with me. Now, 5-6 months later, he is much more tame, surely still obsessed with the budgie, but I can keep his focus on me much longer.

Good luck with your two new flighted friends!

OP
pepperudacockateil

pepperudacockateil

Sep 9, 2021
Parrots
my love birds dont seem to like millet spray and I cant think of any other treats what can you recommend that you are syre love birds like?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I do my research for my teil and read some articles but sometimes I am not so sure if what I am reading is correct because in other articles it would say things like example: give your teil only millet and then another article would say dont gice you teil millet give it only bird foods. most of them are really confusing and I just ask the forrums since you guys are actually people that are experts I do ask a lot of questions but those questions are my questions that I really do not understand usually
i apolagize i shouldnt have said such rude things

Most Reactions