Step up and target training

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bird Tricks video so great to see it in action
GCC , also shows that after a couple of success you should give a break. If you know green cheeks you could see the failure coming. Also important notice how the hesitant, and hand withdrawal can teach bites. But the the parenys step in with guidance. So great to see step up in action, tge use of clickers and target.
( KitKat thanks for referencing them)

[ame="https://youtu.be/JkZXTo75Q6I"]My 7 yr Old Tamed This Rescue Bird in 2 Days | Pineapple Cheek Conure Taming - YouTube[/ame]
Oops will try again

Last edited:

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Birdtricks (on the youtube.com search window) is one of my favorites. However, don't forget the forums here. jh

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
Hi all, may I ask how you even attempt target/clicker training with a 4 mo irn that won't even think about stepping up? Thanks

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Hi all, may I ask how you even attempt target/clicker training with a 4 mo irn that won't even think about stepping up? Thanks

I think that clicker/target training can come before step up. At least I hope so because my ringneck is not going to step up any time soon :D

In general once you figure out the actions you want to teach, you can then try to break it down into smaller steps for how your individual bird reacts. The first step is linking getting a favorite treat with the clicker sound or a marker word like "yes!" Is your bird pretty tame and comfortable around you? If so the typical target training method should work ok - using a target stick held in front of them and clicking/marking when they move to bite it, then reward right away.

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
I think that clicker/target training can come before step up. At least I hope so because my ringneck is not going to step up any time soon :D

In general once you figure out the actions you want to teach, you can then try to break it down into smaller steps for how your individual bird reacts. The first step is linking getting a favorite treat with the clicker sound or a marker word like "yes!" Is your bird pretty tame and comfortable around you? If so the typical target training method should work ok - using a target stick held in front of them and clicking/marking when they move to bite it, then reward right away.
Hi & thank you! Yes, I'd say he's fairly comfortable around me, I've only had him for 3.5 weeks and he's (or she) just turned 4 mo. From some previous posts I've read, I feel fortunate that he will take treats/veggies from me & will sit on my shoulder for a but but then wants to get my ears. I believe he may have had his 1st tantrum today as there were toys being thrown, he was yakking at me and was obviously upset about something so I left him be for a while & he's ok now 🤣 it is my 1st bird & yes I know what they say about them being a poor choice for 1st time owners but I'm 54, all children are grown & I have tons of patience & love to give so I'm up for the challenge! I just wasn't sure where to start with training when they don't/ won't step up yet but we'll get there & best of luck to you too! ❤️

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
Hi & thank you! Yes, I'd say he's fairly comfortable around me, I've only had him for 3.5 weeks and he's (or she) just turned 4 mo. From some previous posts I've read, I feel fortunate that he will take treats/veggies from me & will sit on my shoulder for a but but then wants to get my ears. I believe he may have had his 1st tantrum today as there were toys being thrown, he was yakking at me and was obviously upset about something so I left him be for a while & he's ok now 🤣 it is my 1st bird & yes I know what they say about them being a poor choice for 1st time owners but I'm 54, all children are grown & I have tons of patience & love to give so I'm up for the challenge! I just wasn't sure where to start with training when they don't/ won't step up yet but we'll get there & best of luck to you too! ❤️
P.s. I also adore animals of any & all kind & do not give up 😁

Attachments

• 20220427_115108.jpg
    20220427_115108.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 50

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh wow, what a beautiful IRN!! It sounds like you're off to a great start already.

Here's another target training video I like but partly because I'm obsessed with her branches everywhere :D

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful girl!! And sounds like you guys are doing absolutely amazing!

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
Oh wow, what a beautiful IRN!! It sounds like you're off to a great start already.

Here's another target training video I like but partly because I'm obsessed with her branches everywhere :D

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to watch right now ! ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts