stopping my 5 year old green cheek from biting

GHOSTLY

Aug 18, 2021
Parrots
Spring the green cheek conure
So I noticed that my green cheek is pretty aggressive and will bite me if I put my hand near his cage and sometimes will just bite me on the ear and fingers. Its not the playful bite but its a full-on pissy bite. How can I prevent and train him

Littlechris123

Aug 18, 2021
Media
Worksop nottinghamshire
Parrots
Pineapple conure
My pineapple conure nibbles me then goes in for a full on bite i read on you tube u talk to your bird through the cage keep saying calm down offer a treat when not biting and firmly say no bite i leave my bird in cage in a morning talk to her as im doing things and i also use a clicker and a treat when she steps up and doesnt bite its working been doing it a week now great progress last night was the first nite i got no bite šŸ˜€ not sure if that will last lol if ure struggling you tube is fab with videos and teaining

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Hereā€™s my goto for biting!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
In addition to all the most excellent advice and links provided above, something else to consider is that green cheeked conures do appear to be a species that can be prone to a thing called "cage aggression". This occurs when the bird sees his cage as his "territory" and will defend it most vigorously! Perhaps best to allow Spring to leave the cage in his own time, and conduct training away from the cage in a more neutral spot too.

Hope this helps!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes! My GCC will rip off a finger if I touch her cage or try and pet her from the outside. As soon as she comes out if the cage things are fine.

She is awesome, loves to cuddle. But also feels I'm trying to kill her or insult her several times a day. Close attention to her body language and quick mood changes and I avoid all bites. Mote out of the cage time , give out of the cage pet h areas to hang out near you. Work on your trust and relationships, talk and explain stuff they appreciate it, and seem to understand a lot, or like that you redirect and include them. Hace ritual and routine, always say goodbye when leaving home and glorious when you walk in the door.

They have lots if energy and curiosity, and need fir affection. When needs not me nipping gets bad

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, if he wants to protect HIS cage, respect that! The only bite that isnā€™t rewarded is the bite that doesnā€™t happen!
The wifeā€™s Bongo, is very cage aggressive! When and if I approach his cage, I have my hands behind my back! Once he shows posturing, I change the subject, redirect my focus, and act like I didnā€™t notice!
My JoJo? He will sit on my hand while I rearrange his toys!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
if you haven't been spending as much time with them lately, they can get cranky. More time together and maintain your relationship. My GCC us the most sensitive to when I'm away st the hospital. I have to win her back a little and reassure her she is still my special girl. My quaker Penny smack me across the face with her beak ! And sort of punches me with her beak. Then all is forgiven.

Have you had less time for yours lately? It really can lead to acting out

Most Reactions

Latest posts