Storing food

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
In preparation for Oliver coming home, I bought all the good he is currently eating at the nursery, now...... The bird nursery recommends storing it all in the freezer, is this a must? It is ALOT of food they sold me assorted kinds. Or..... Could I store it in a air tight container with a screw in lid, such as a very large Tupperware or even air tight dog food container? This was my thought. Not sure if it's advisable. If it is possible, does one know where I could find a large enough container as such?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is not uncommon for Dry Food(s) for Parrots to have some bug larva in with the 'stuff.' This commonly happens during shipping to the processing facility or in the facility itself. Freezing for at least 30 days (some will state shorter) will kill those larva and eliminate any problems later.

An ever increasing number of Pellets are made without preservatives and those require Freezing. The others will stay fresher longer, if they are Frozen.

Its your choice, choose wisely.

We have always used the Zip Top Freezer bags, because they just pack tighter.

Last edited:
OP
Tammie

Tammie

Aug 25, 2016
I understand. Thank you. Just asking because the bird store keeps them in bins wide open. No door, and in large quantities. I'm surprised in such large quantity it isn't spoiled there.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
It does suffer, but when the oil goes rancid, you will know it! Also, hopefully, they keep the humidity low. Mold is a killer!

macawluv

Jan 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
What brand of food? Ones without preservatives(ideal) like TOPS and golden feast should be stored in the freezer. I store all of my pellets in the freezer in 1 week portions :) :) I would also not buy from an open bin at a bird store...

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Best storage for unopened food is to leave it sealed in the bag. Once open, you can store in a jar. Glass is better than plastic. I use the kind with a silicone seal and metal flip lock mechanism (no idea what these are called), but you can find them at kitchen stores, TJ Maxx and the like.

Whether frozen or not, keep foods in the dark to preserve freshness.

I'm not currently feeding pellets, but when I do I always buy the smallest bag possible. So many nutrients degrade quickly, and I want them to get into my birds, not disappear into the aether.

Most Reactions

Latest posts