Strange acrobatics when locked in new cage

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
The cage is relatively new, more than a year old. My IRN occasionally goes in just to get a treat and comes out of the cage ASAP. When I close the door he will eventually start doing this (in the video below).

Video: [ame="https://youtu.be/vgF7qYvTixY"]https://youtu.be/vgF7qYvTixY [/ame]

So what is he doing? Why is he doing that? Can he hurt himself?

My guess is he knows I'll open the door as soon as he starts doing that so he's just using that fact to get out of the cage. Not sure if I should ignore or if he can hurt himself.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry that your Thread had been missed. Sadly, it does happen from time to time. With hope, this bump will get it back-up on the board and others will respond.

Your Parrot is clearly signaling that it wants to be with you and out of the cage. You're likely not be providing enough out of cage time. And, yes, he is doing a good job of training you. And, no, the acrobatics will not hurt him.

So, consider more out of the cage time!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, looks like attention seeking to me. I agree with boats above, and good advice. You're being trained. Welcome to the world of being owned by parrots! Love the little pauses to check if you're still watching. Cuteness!

OP
Koni

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
Thanks for the replies. That's actually a load off my back that he can't hurt himself :D

He gets plenty of time outside the cage, that's a new cage that I'm kinda tricking him into getting in so he doesn't like it and he wants out. He actually prefers the (a lot) smaller cage he's used to. Once he gets used to the new one I'll introduce more toys and stuff to play with, right now I'm trying to make the transition as easy as possible and he's afraid of all new toys and things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts