strange behaviour from my amazon parrot

anuska

Apr 5, 2013
Trinidad
Parrots
2 Orange winged amazon, 2 budgies
hi all , i recently noticed some strange behaviour from my amazon parrot , the other night while he was on my shoulder he started to bite and ears and neck like he always does when he's playing and then he started moving his foot around like it was out of control lol i know it sounds funny but he usually does that when he's playing moving it all and closing and opening his toes ,so i didnt bother at all, but then he started lowering his body like he was about to take a poo with his chest getting all puffy and he made a sound like a wiff of air coming through his mouth or nose i'm not quite sure yet , so i got startled and said stop it which he immediately stopped but then he did it a second time . i've researched seizures and parrots in heat but he looks nothing like that when he did it , what could be the reason for this behaviour ? keep in mind all of these things he did at the same time which was quite out of the normal for me , first time i witnessed this .:green:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How old is your Amazon? Are you certain he is a boy?

The actions and sound you describe sound similar to what my girl Amazon does when she is "in the mood". :54:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Yep have to agree with Wendy, a precursor to mating season. My Bosley has started doing his little dance and has been trying to find a nest spot. LOL

OP
A

anuska

Apr 5, 2013
Trinidad
Parrots
well honestly speaking , i'm not sure never got a dna test to clarify that i just went along with the rumors that you could tell from the behavioral characteristics , so i assumed it was a boy lol as compared to my other who i til this day think is a girl. age wise he or as i would like to think ,is going on 2 yrs ,i didn't think it was heat because i looked at a few videos online and found that it wasnt the same thing i was experiencing with my baby ,but if you all say you've experienced that then lol i guess i'm in for the unexpected

OP
A

anuska

Apr 5, 2013
Trinidad
Parrots
ohh well once its nothing i should be worried about , i was thinking it probably was a seizure but im relieved it wasnt that

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
It's all good, just don't play any Barry White while you are handling her/him...:11:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts