strange IRN behavior

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
So this has happened a lot of times but it didnt concern me but its starting to worry me so im not sure if i should go to an avian vet or if this is completely normal..
Although when i put my ringneck into his cage after an hour or two of playing he keeps shaking his head repetitively and whilst he's shaking his head he also makes some noises
I'd be super glad to know wether this is normal or not and if its normal i'd also like to know what it means

Thank you have a great day (i will attach 2 videos of what i mean)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s a bird thing. I don’t know if it feels good to whip their heads around like that but I’ve seen several of my birds do this and have seen it many times on YouTube.

If you do the motion back you can really get the bird going. But that’s probably not very nice.

Quakers like to Bob their heads up and down quickly when they’re excited, sometimes about food but in general just excited.

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
That’s a bird thing. I don’t know if it feels good to whip their heads around like that but I’ve seen several of my birds do this and have seen it many times on YouTube.

If you do the motion back you can really get the bird going. But that’s probably not very nice.

Quakers like to Bob their heads up and down quickly when they’re excited, sometimes about food but in general just excited.
I see well thanks for the response i was just a bit concerned, so theres no need to take him to an avian vet?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
No, I don’t think so. I’ve seen several birds do this in person and many on video. I don’t know why it’s fun for them but I don’t think it’s a sign of illness. It might be a stereotyped behavior like pacing back and forth on the perch, but it’s not a sign of a neurological problem or something.

Birds have long necks and like to “bop” sometimes.

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
No, I don’t think so. I’ve seen several birds do this in person and many on video. I don’t know why it’s fun for them but I don’t think it’s a sign of illness. It might be a stereotyped behavior like pacing back and forth on the perch, but it’s not a sign of a neurological problem or something.

Birds have long necks and like to “bop” sometimes.
Alright thank you very much for confirming, sorry for the late response i wish you and your birds a good day!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts